Paris-Brest-Paris 18-22 August 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Does it mean that if you do not have your 200km ride in by now that you cannot apply.

• 200km: Saturday 12th January - Sunday 28th April
  • 300km: Saturday 16th March - Sunday 26th May
  • 400km: Saturday 13th April - Sunday 2nd June
  • 600km: Saturday 4th May - Sunday 23rd June

Ajax Bay

Guru
No, Steve. Those dates are for the 'proper' qualifiers next year. Any BRM rides this year merely 'pre-qualify' the rider who can then pre-register earlier than others who've ridden a shorter distance or none this year (by October). West Highlands and ACME Grand for me this year.

Redlight

And, as much as anything, it's the atmosphere, especially on the first night. Agreed, it's not the most exciting of routes, although parts of Brittany are fairly attractive, but at 1200 (and a bit) km on relatively gentle terrain it's a good warm-up for LEL two years later. Now, that's a ride with scenery to spare.

Ajax Bay

Guru
But they don't allow flashing rear lights on PBP. What's a rider who appreciates a bit of conspicuity to do? Nothing like a good strong red flashing light to attract attention. Poor attempt at thread derail.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I know you can get PBP 'hi-viz' colour / reflective material gilets (as proudly worn by randonneurs on events around UK) but do ACP prescribe a 'standard' for the 'hi-viz' requirement you describe?

As per French law. I think it's EN470 (from memory. In practice, anything yellow and gilet-like with reflective strips seems to pass muster.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
I know you can get PBP 'hi-viz' colour / reflective material gilets (as proudly worn by randonneurs on events around UK) but do ACP prescribe a 'standard' for the 'hi-viz' requirement you describe?
As per French law. I think it's EN470 (from memory. In practice, anything yellow and gilet-like with reflective strips seems to pass muster.
EN471 or EN1150 is what the roolz say.
The official gilet was included in the price last time around so as to remove any possibility of 'excuses'.
Personally I found it a little heavy/bulky/too warm for France in August and I was glad I'd brought a lighter weight alternative.

Ajax Bay

Guru
EN471 or EN1150 is what the roolz say.
EN1150 looks to be the 'non-industrial' standard and:
"A garment must incorporate a total of at least 0.32 m² of visible fluorescent material and 900 cm² of visible reflective material.
•These materials can be applied as a number of bands or panels but these must be distributed reasonably evenly around the whole garment.
•Fluorescent material can be yellow, green, orange, red or pink (including a combination of these)
•No piece of fluorescent material can be less than 50 mm wide
•No piece of reflective material can be less than 25 mm wide"

Top Bottom