Paris - Nice (*Spoiler*)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

...and if you cast your mind back the GC contenders just rode up Ventoux marking each other. Which really peeded off the organisation, as they d billed it as the make or break stage of the tour.
Halfway up those two were pedaling squares.

The only way Martin will be a GT contender is, if they bring in a minium weight limit.

....for riders that is! ^_^

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Westra is going to be a serious threat on that mountain TT on the last day.

I don't know anything about Westra but the commentators were saying he's a strong time-triallist, so Sunday's stage could be interesting. But is he really a threat? I mean, it was a brilliant piece of opportunism today, but he won't be able to hide in the shelter of another team on Sunday...

d.

PpPete

Legendary Member
High on adrenalin & endorphins after stage win ?
Given the number and quality of riders that were dropped on that climb, I'm very suspicious of less natural chemical imbalances. Not saying it was. mind... after all it's early in season and different riders are at different stages in their training, he may just have peaked a bit early but it looked suspicious to me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
High on adrenalin & endorphins after stage win ?

I would charitably assume this to be the case. Plus a bit of machismo/bravado - it probably hurt a lot more than he was letting on. And the fact that he'd been keeping his powder dry in the shelter of the peloton for the whole stage, only showing his face in the final kilometre.

Anyway, it's not unheard of for previously "ordinary" riders* to come seemingly from nowhere and pull off wins like that, and you don't have to automatically assume the worst. Just look at Cobo and Froome in last year's Vuelta - what odds would you have got on them for the top two podium places before the race started? I know Cobo has hung around with a few shady characters in the past but that's not evidence of doping.

And don't forget that it's only in the last few years Wiggins has really started to shine - since he was about the same age as Westra is now, funnily enough.

Interestingly, watching the highlights again yesterday evening, earlier in the stage, the commentators picked out several riders in the top ten they thought might be a threat - they mentioned Spilak, Van Garderen, Jeannesson and Kiserlovski but were completely taken by surprise by Westra.

d.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Westra isn't jut some other rider though... he's a relatively new pro, but a recognized talent - a strong TTer and a decent climber with an improving record . He reminds me of Pinotti in some ways. He might or might not be using artificial aid to get there but he's no more or less suspicious than Sky riders like Froome or Porte.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Westra isn't jut some other rider though...

Indeed - I meant to add a footnote to my previous post to that effect. I know little about him but I took it from what the commentators were saying yesterday that he's a highly regarded rising star.

Still not convinced he'll have what it takes to beat Wiggo on Sunday though.

d.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I would charitably assume this to be the case. Plus a bit of machismo/bravado - it probably hurt a lot more than he was letting on. And the fact that he'd been keeping his powder dry in the shelter of the peloton for the whole stage, only showing his face in the final kilometre.

Anyway, it's not unheard of for previously "ordinary" riders* to come seemingly from nowhere and pull off wins like that, and you don't have to automatically assume the worst. Just look at Cobo and Froome in last year's Vuelta - what odds would you have got on them for the top two podium places before the race started? I know Cobo has hung around with a few shady characters in the past but that's not evidence of doping.

And don't forget that it's only in the last few years Wiggins has really started to shine - since he was about the same age as Westra is now, funnily enough.

Interestingly, watching the highlights again yesterday evening, earlier in the stage, the commentators picked out several riders in the top ten they thought might be a threat - they mentioned Spilak, Van Garderen, Jeannesson and Kiserlovski but were completely taken by surprise by Westra.

d.
What you say is true but history tells us that scepticism may be unhealthy but is regularly proved correct. Not that I'm pointing the finger at Westra - he's had some decent form in the past couple of years although not on this scale or this terrain. I just wish he'd been breathing heavier like the others but he may just have peaked for this.

I do have serious doubts about Cobo though after his spectacular efforts matching Ricco and Piepoli in that team in yellow a few years ago. Saunier Duval?

Noodley

Bloody typical..I had Jens in my fantasy team til today but made a change! Germans! Cannae trust them...:laugh:

And as for breakaways...get rid of radios!!!!! The "safety" argument is bollocks. Give me Tommy "90% of the peloton hate me" Voeckler" any day!!!!

Top Bottom