Paris - Nice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I watched the last hour and a half live today. What a horrible day to ride; driving rain and slippery roads. They're tough these blokes.
Eurosport should turn up Sean Kelly's mic or provide subtitles.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
David Millar is looking quite handy in 7th...

doyler78

Aint Skeered said:
Is it just me , or does anyone else struggle to understand what Mr Kelly is saying.

Given what Rich P said above I would hazard a guess that you are not alone.

Sean certainly has a very strong Waterford accent which can make it difficult for anyone not used to the accent to understand. I have no prob with it. Just as some people will have probs with strong Irish accents so to do people from Ireland have problems at times with strong English regional accents such as Cornish or those from Newscastle (was sure how to spell Geordie (sp?).

Aint Skeered

It's a shame he has a vast knowledge of the event, and I am only picking up half of what he's saying.
Perhaps they should have Seantitles

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have learnt to more or less understand Sean over the years but his voice yesterday was just too quiet. Allied with the accent made it difficult to pick up the pearls.

mondobongo

Über Member
Not a good day for Slipstream with Millar way off the pace today dropping close to 7 minutes and Lowe also dropping from 4th to 21st although he did not drop as much time.

Hard day tomorrow, I have a feeling that a few may decide to go early with a view to staying away if so would be good if Lowe could get in that group.

Dave5N

Über Member
So, is David over confident or 'underprepared'?

Aint Skeered

Dave5N said:
So, is David over confident or 'underprepared'?

Without appearing to be the prophet of doom, I think underprepared.
But I would dearly love to be proved wrong.

Do you find the Slipstream kit growing on you? or am I in need of a bit of style therapy.

yello

Aint Skeered said:
Do you find the Slipstream kit growing on you?

Yes ;) Last year's kit was a bit, er, unbalanced, but I reckon they've got it right this year...

Dunno what's happened to David Millar, maybe just a bad day. Fingers crossed for today though it's going to be tough.

Tetedelacourse

NO! Those bibtights with the Noel Edmonds pattern on them are rank rotten!

This year's a prime example of why Kelly did so well I think. Such harsh conditions didn't ever please him as I recall, but he knew everyone else hated them and that made him revel in it.

Nothing wrong with the big man's accent; in fact it's blessed relief from the standard middle England drawl you so often hear these days.

I think the best Millar can hope for is for a bit of a showing on the front. He perennially gets talked up but IMO just aint got the legs to win a classic

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tetedelacourse said:
Nothing wrong with the big man's accent; in fact it's blessed relief from the standard middle England drawl you so often hear these days.

It's not his accent for me, just that it's inaudible which is a bit of a prerequisite for a commentator!

There are a lot of regional accents on TV these days thank heavens.

Kelly's mic level is wrong - they need someone to go in and turn it up, or turn Harman down and then boost both. maybe turn the higher end up on Kelly's mic as well. Eurosport haven't a great track record in the technical field.

it could be that kelly isn't talking straight into the mic, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem, get a mic that isn't so direction sensitive - he's a major commentator after all!

Top Bottom