Paris-Roubaix **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
Forecast is dry (again! When was it last wet at P-R?) so this significantly increases the chances of Wiggins remaining committed for the whole race. I'm with Thom: for Wiggins to win it he will need a lot of luck. I can see him making the podium* by hanging with the likes of Cancellara and then losing the sprint but the only way he can win is to time trial off the front, which is going to need a whole bunch of Vans+Cancellara+Boonen to fall off or get dust in their eyes at the crucial moment and not notice.

Given how vocal he has been about wanting to win I don't see any of "the big favourites"^ letting him go up the road without at least someone who can win marking him.

*Usual Paris Roubaix caveats - as long as he doesn't fall off, break his bike etc.
^ (c) S.Kelly

The Couch

Über Member
Sure he has an outside chance. I think his best chances involves a good amount of risk as part of a dual team strategy, requiring him to in effect lay his cards on the table earlier than most. ...
I agree, maybe next year with some more experience in these things I will hold him in higher esteem

heart says Wiggins might just do it...
If I really let me heart speak, it would be Van Summeren that I would give it to (with the shock he sustained last Sunday), however can't see how he will be able to have focused himself this week or how the others will allow him to get away (with enough lead) after winning it via a break-away a couple of years ago

The Couch

Über Member
Van Summeren is starting (his wife has tweeted so) after discussing it with the family of the injured women

Devolder most likely isn't going to start, since he was having too much pain in his elbow today during reconnaissance
(which is a big shame for him, since he was clearly in great form for these 2 weeks)

U

User169

Would love to see Zdenek Sytbar do well after last yrs unfortunate incident within the last 20K's. I'll guess I will find out as I'm going to be there on Sunday cheering from the sidelines, possibly with more than a few beers in me to dull the pain from doing the Paris-Roubaix Challenge the day before. Just slightly looking forward to it all...:hyper:

Just saw that there are about 3,500 people registered. A bit different RVV with 16,000.

Brits lead the way, followed by the Dutch and then French.

The Couch

Über Member
Quite funny/surprising:
Most (if not all) Belgian articles I read recently about PR, always mention that Wiggins is participating, but that he is doing so as preparation for the Tour.

While he has mentioned clearly in interviews (on e.g. Cyclingnews) that PR is a real focus-point of his season and that he isn't at all focusing on a GT (if you've seen him climbing this year, it's fairly obvious even). Some of the people here even have very high expectations/hopes for him in PR.

Besides this, there isn't that much talk even about Thomas, Kristoff or Stybar.

I am a bit disappointed with the lack of understanding from our reporters on this.

thom

____
Besides this, there isn't that much talk even about Thomas, Kristoff or Stybar.
Didn't Geraint Thomas state he would be riding for EBH, the designated SKY leader for PR ?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I didn't realise Wiggo was the first TdF winner since Lemond to even take part in PR, but it does explain why the level of interest in his participation is so high.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Really?!? Froome or Evans never participated? A bit of a surprise to me as well

According to the article Hont linked to above.

<motty>Cuddles seems to favour the Ardennes over Flanders - he's done Amstel Gold, Liege-Bastogne-Liege and Fleche Wallonne a few times. Froome likewise, though he has ridden Gent-Wevelgem and Scheldeprijs. The article does mention that Brad has taken part in PR twice before, but this will be the first time since he won the TdF.</motty>

Top Bottom