Paris-Roubaix **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not saying people should all be happy to spend that much, just saying the price of the shoes is hardly outlandish. It is a top end shoe, you get what you pay for. Plus shoes last years... my last pair lasted 5 years, they have only just been replaced (I did consider these Giro shoes as their replacement but in the end went with the S-Works).

PS. I'd rather have new shoes than go to Glastonbury :tongue:

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
Never mind the shoes, look at the tractor tyres:wacko:

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Never mind the shoes, look at the tractor tyres:wacko:

Given what they're riding over, I think it's understandable ^_^.

I know there aren't very many pictures, but is it significant that Wiggins is (mostly) on the drops whereas all the other riders are on the hoods or tops ?
And, without wanting to seem like as much a fan-boy as jowwy, don't you think he's looking pretty good there ?

I'm expecting a valiant top 10 place.
Unless it rains.
Or Thomas takes him out in a crash.

ETA: I love watching this race so much that I'm skipping an audax that would contribute to my RRTY (and it's a ride that I really enjoy).
Instead, GF and I are going out with our usual group but we're even cutting that short to get back in time.

Shocking.

Last edited:
U

User169

Ta! Nice looking shoes.

David Millar's RVV shoes were a bit eye-catching...

10178145_660298570672576_2783238688430011150_n.jpg

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think Wiggins might do rather better than everyone is expecting. I still want Stybar to win. And whatever else happens, a 'Van something' will come second... you also heard this here first ;)

beastie

Guru
I think Wiggins might do rather better than everyone is expecting. I still want Stybar to win. And whatever else happens, a 'Van something' will come second... you also heard this here first ;)
The thing with Wiggins is he could be anywhere. From a top ten all they way to "can't be arsed"
For the win, it's gonna be Cancellara v Vanmarke v the rest.

The Couch

Über Member
That's a really smart way to put it :thumbsup:

(of course, if you just said a Belgian takes second you would have included Boonen as well) :smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Head says Vanmarcke, heart says Wiggins might just do it.

He's shown what he can do when he really wants something. I think he's capable of it. He's a brute of a rouleur and has the chops to pull off a long solo attack. Main thing against him is a complete lack of pedigree in one-day races. But he showed well in RVV last week...

thom

____
How could Wiggins win ?

He can sprint but not like Cancellara or Boonen. Most of the 'Van something's (copyright FM) have shown nous and experience at the death that would I think normally trump Brad. Maybe, just maybe, his track background could help though.

So he'd need to get to Roubaix alone or in a small group of upstarts, obviously lacking a major OPQS rider or Fab. I could imagine a template like when Van Summeren won in 2011. Stick him up the road early enough on, hoping in a sense he is not considered a major threat but then SKY spend all their resources keeping EBH/Thomas limpet like on the tail of the big favourites.

If Fab is in good shape with 40km to go then he wouldn't let Wiggins launch off the front, like Boonen did in 2012 when Fab was not there.

Luck will always play a part but it has to be an incredible long shot. I think Wiggins best chance is through stealthy tactics in an early breakaway, backed up by a team dedicated to protecting a.n.other against counters from the usual candidates.

By definition, the best rider will win on the day - whoever that is, it will be a lot of fun watching.

Like the Harelbeke. Cancellara had some bad luck and couldn't get back and Sagan won. The previous year it was the other way around and at one point this year, Thomas gapped Sagan on a climb. Do that in Roubaix and then keep the pace high and they might not get back, depending on who's in the groups.

Wiggins says in the interview below that positioning is key. He clearly wants to win it. Personally I don't think he can, not that I wouldn't love to see him do it but it seems a big ask, considering who's there.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-serious-about-paris-roubaix-ambitions

thom

____
Yeah, I completely agree with that. But I still think he has an outside chance!
Sure he has an outside chance. I think his best chances involves a good amount of risk as part of a dual team strategy, requiring him to in effect lay his cards on the table earlier than most. It will be interesting to see how SKY play the tactics, how many resources they give to him as opposed to EBH for example.

Top Bottom