Park and Ride (your bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
interesting. We just have a new P&R opened in Winchester - not of interest to me as I live in the centre, but I looked in the other day and they charge £3 per day inc the bus. No discount for those wanting to cycle in from there

HelenD123

Guru
I think you can park and cycle at the ones in York. You pay for the bus rather than parking so I assume it's free.

Yes indeed, Nottingham City Council are on about implementing a 'workplace parking levy' for employers that provide 10+ parking spaces for staff. Not popular at all...

They also just bought a new building deliberately situated right beside the train station, tram station and canal so that employees have less of a reason to drive into work.

Credit to them as they are fairly good at coming up with ideas to try to cut down on inner city traffic in the years I have lived here.

Norm

Damn, that's a great idea.

There's a failed P&R place on the edge of Maidenhead (here to be precise) which was created to great broo haha several years ago and completely failed to attract any customer because of the silly prices they charged.

Look at that Street View image, it's a lovely car park with fecking great big concrete blocks across the entrance.

Would be great if they turned it into something useful like Nottingham.

I feel a letter coming on. I was going to write anyway, to enquire whether they have any provision for motorbike parking in either Windsor or Maidenhead. The only places I've seen bikes parked is in the cycle parking areas, which doesn't feel right to me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
I think you can park and cycle at the ones in York. You pay for the bus rather than parking so I assume it's free.

You can and it is, although for some reason, not from the Askham Bar one.

RedBike

What a stupid idea.
They'll create car parking spaces that will no doubt be full of people who don't have a bike but are trying to avoid the £3. If you do get a space they you might as well put a big sign on your car saying "Wont be back until 5pm, please break in,"

15miles isn't far. Think I would just ride the lot.

Arch

Married to Night Train
RedBike said:
What a stupid idea.
They'll create car parking spaces that will no doubt be full of people who don't have a bike but are trying to avoid the £3. If you do get a space they you might as well put a big sign on your car saying "Wont be back until 5pm, please break in,"

15miles isn't far. Think I would just ride the lot.

Miserable git. Most people using park and ride are there most of the day anyway. And they'll presumably monitor who parks where and how they travel - the guy still has to buy a discounted ticket, so presumably, he'll have to show some sort of proof - the bike would be a giveaway...

I'm sure you would ride the lot, but a lot of people aren't up to your no doubt Olympian levels of fitness. Or don't have the time. Better he rides some of it, then drives the lot.

Cambridge charges you only to take the bus into town from the park & ride; the actual parking of the car is free. This means that cyclists can, and do, leave the car there and ride into the centre of the city. I would have thought that this would be standard practice, and shame on any council that doesn't run their system like this.

Top Bottom