Park Bike Stand Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
View attachment 76577
View attachment 76577
Just got a tablet for christmas and its a bit hard loading something till you have done it a few times..
Anyway thats where my clamp is on my SL 8 Emondo
No worries. Interesting frame and clamp positioning. Had not seen one, so was intrigued. Going to be very awkward to use the stand clamp on that. Will have to be foam pipe lagging on the top tube, as already suggested above.

Nice bike btw!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
No worries. Interesting frame and clamp positioning. Had not seen one, so was intrigued. Going to be very awkward to use the stand clamp on that. Will have to be foam pipe lagging on the top tube, as already suggested above.

Nice bike btw!
On all my other bikes the seat post sits inside the frame on this bike it slides over it.. yes its a dream of a bike.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Check out this link @Boon 51, to Shimano's site. Choose your groupse t at the top and then the component at the bottom and then the model you have on next page. There are User Manuals and Dealer Manuals. The former are very basic, but the latter go in depth. The torque settings are shown on the Dealer versions. Great resource in fairness.

http://si.shimano.com/#categories/149
I will download this into my bike file.. cheers :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have a PCS9.

Genrally I clamp by the seatpost - won't mark as the jaws are rubber lined.

I sometimes lightly clamp by the top tube for quick adjustments where no real force is required. Never marked my (white) bike yet.

Watch the handle clamp at the back of the stand that locks the rotating head. Needs clamping very lightly to work effectively. Overdo it and you'll need to undo it with something like a broom handle to get sufficient leverage.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I have a PCS9.

Genrally I clamp by the seatpost - won't mark as the jaws are rubber lined.

I sometimes lightly clamp by the top tube for quick adjustments where no real force is required. Never marked my (white) bike yet.

Watch the handle clamp at the back of the stand that locks the rotating head. Needs clamping very lightly to work effectively. Overdo it and you'll need to undo it with something like a broom handle to get sufficient leverage.

I'll be back in the UK tomorrow so I can put the work stand up and have a good look at it in situ..
Now I've got a big garage I will be able to erect the stand and leave it in the working position..yippee

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'll be back in the UK tomorrow so I can put the work stand up and have a good look at it in situ..
Now I've got a big garage I will be able to erect the stand and leave it in the working position..yippee

Be careful doing that - I have found bags of vegetables and the odd bit of washing hanging on mine.

Wasn't me!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Be careful doing that - I have found bags of vegetables and the odd bit of washing hanging on mine.

Wasn't me!

I'm lucky as my 22ft x 14ft garage is all mine for me and my bikes and boys stuff.. SHMBO has the 3rd bedroom and the roof attic ( by stairs ) which is a good size for what she wants to do.

bpsmith

Veteran
My single garage is full of junk. Really needs a clear out. Can get enough space to get the stand out when I need it and that's tight!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm not filling my garage with junk as I have waited years to have my own garage, I might even put a heater in there..:biggrin:

bpsmith

Veteran
I agree. Don't do it. I brought a load of stuff from our old house, after ditching half of what I had. Some things for DIY, that were a necessity to keep, have not been touched for 2.5 years so far.

Definitely going to sort out once the evenings get a bit longer.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
We should be moving back to the UK some time this year so we are starting all over again, but I won't be buying stuff I won't use.. well hopefully..

I have a Topeak one and it depends upon the bike and what I am working on.

The real trick is to setting up so that the part you are working on is at a working height

I use seatposts where possible, and than rotated to raise the front or rear

However this does not always work, so I have used the top tube when aligning the seat and handlebars for instance

How tight the clamp is varies with the support and balance, however I always use lagging when clamping on the tubes

bpsmith

Veteran
We should be moving back to the UK some time this year so we are starting all over again, but I won't be buying stuff I won't use.. well hopefully..
I don't buy stuff that I won't use. What I have is stuff that I have bought to do specific jobs around the house and then keep in case I do said jobs again in the future. Feels wrong to get rid of stuff and then buy again later on. Going to be ruthless this time though. :smile:

Top Bottom