Park tools, worth the extra cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I am after a new set of cable cutters.
Park tools c10 ones vary between £20 and £35 depending on the seller.
Draper professional cutters are a bit cheaper as are the Bikehut cutters from Halfords.
Is it worth the extra money for ParkTools?

tom73

Guru
Stuff I have is yes the cable cutters are worth it a nice bit of kit and cut cleanly every time.

Gunk

Guru
It depends how much you use the stuff, my 50 year heavy duty pliers still cut bike cables cleanly every time

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Cyclus tools are as good as Park. For cable cutters specifically, just buy the On-One cutters from PlanetX. They are really good.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got just a few of their tools and they're all good, I'd likely buy more if it was at the right price, although they can be dear of course. I do hear some specific tools of theirs are not as good as other makes so it might be a case of "it depends".
I don't have their wire cutters though I'd be tempted at £20 or thereabouts, not at 30.

Bikehut stuff isn't bad at the price though!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't comment o Park but you'll never regret buying a quality tool.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Some Park Tools stuff is excellent. The Fragrant MrsP has one of the kits as pictured below which I use as and when. She has other PT bits an pieces too. There are two items In that kit that are sh!t. The chain tool is crap, the pin is made of custard and the tyre leavers are as about as much use as a banana fritter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thanks for all the replies, I have plenty to think about there. I am only a privateer with a few bikes, not a workshop so I shall look around and make a choice based on your replies. Thanks.

dodgy

Park Tools are definitely a luxury, but I tend to buy tools as I need them so have always tended to buy Park.
I don't have a single Park Tool in my collection that has worn out/failed/etc since I've been buying them, which is about 1995 and I have had 5 bikes most of that time, I've also been known to help out with friend's bikes.
I think my oldest tool is a Park cable cutter.

Top Bottom