Parking on Cycle Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you're a cyclist move on to the road and go around it - its no big deal.

If you're a pedestrian slash the tyres and put a brick through the windscreen.

I've always fancied having a roll of really sticky sticky tape made up, printed with a bike tyre tread pattern. Any vehicle parked in a bike lane, gets a line of tape, from bonnet, up and over, to boot.

It has to be the sort that would leave a really sticky residue....

Jezston

Über Member
I'd be tempted to carry a couple of cans of spray paint, one black, one white - depending on what best suits the car's paintwork, and leaving a message for them.

I remember a few years back, before I started cycling again, seeing a black HUMVEE parked in a cycle lane. I was on my way to a branch of Robert Dyas - the cans of white spray paint sitting on a shelf were sorely tempting.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'd be tempted to carry a couple of cans of spray paint, one black, one white - depending on what best suits the car's paintwork, and leaving a message for them.

I remember a few years back, before I started cycling again, seeing a black HUMVEE parked in a cycle lane. I was on my way to a branch of Robert Dyas - the cans of white spray paint sitting on a shelf were sorely tempting.

I know of an electric wheelchair enabled lady who regularly leaves key marks along the side of such cars.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I know of an electric wheelchair enabled lady who regularly leaves key marks along the side of such cars.

There is only a 14 monsth between my youngest & I had one of those side by side buggies...Bloody wide thing it was. Anyhoo, there was a certain car that parked everyday along my road, not always in the same place, but always half over the pavement, mnay a time I would have to go out into the road to go round it. One day, whilst i must say in a particualry grumpysleepdeprievedtiredmummy sort of state, I thought the gap looked big enough to squeeze through - Oooops I was wrong!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
There is only a 14 monsth between my youngest & I had one of those side by side buggies...Bloody wide thing it was. Anyhoo, there was a certain car that parked everyday along my road, not always in the same place, but always half over the pavement, mnay a time I would have to go out into the road to go round it. One day, whilst i must say in a particualry grumpysleepdeprievedtiredmummy sort of state, I thought the gap looked big enough to squeeze through - Oooops I was wrong!
Obviously you got no pleasure from that mistake. :tongue:

campbellab

And did you try to communicate with the driver your frustrations before causing criminal damage? :blush:

OP
OP
B

Baneli

haha yeah very good idea with the tape and the spray can :tongue: maybe the tape would be better because technicly it's not criminal damage :tongue: Also maybe not when they are sat in the car like these two guys were. Not seen him since even though it's only the next working day but never know might do soon. Further up into Cottenham there is a shop I pass by where they don't have great deal of parking outside (just a couple real small smart car size spaces) and sooo many times people just park all the way up the street where ever they can even on the path.

pshore

264899_10150710102725230_549830229_19819590_4425775_n.jpg

How about that for some annoying parking on a cycle lane... Was on the path that leads from Rampton up to Cottenham in Cambridgeshire and after slugging up a hill which is a bitch to us none fit riders I had to stop because of this.. camera came out and photo was taken! There was 2 guys sat in the van as well who saw me taking the photo in the mirror but didn't say anything. I wanted to ask why they were parked there but I am not one for confrontation :sad:

I know that spot very well and although it says 30mph on the ground, most drivers are bombing it up the hill in the 60mph zone into this 30mph zone - I estimate most vehicles are closer to 40mph. No wonder they want to park their van off the road, its a danger area.

It is also a cyclepath used by school children to get from Rampton to Cottenham Primary School, plus there is a College for secondary school children.

I can't quite tell from the photo, was there room to squeeze round on the pavement ? If they are totally blocking it, then it is completely out of order.

To be honest, I am amazed by how well the councils vehicles are driven over the past few years so this driver just needs a gentle reminder. The council are trying to promote cycling in a big way so it doesn't look good to have all their hard work undone and will probably back you up. I would either contact the City Services yourself and explain, or contact the Cycle Cambridge team.

I had cause to complain about a driver working on behalf on the council a couple of months ago, and his manager could not have been more genuinely apologetic. It was also serious enough that the employee ended up with it being recorded on their HR file.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Thing is if they're park on the cycle path, like that, you can't see what happens with the path? For my $0.02, you could take the white paint and continue the path markings on the vehicle itself. This would both get the message home and in the meantime provide a fun diversion for all the local youths on their BMXs etc?

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Obviously you got no pleasure from that mistake. :tongue:

None whatsover ;)

And did you try to communicate with the driver your frustrations before causing criminal damage? :blush:
Yep..along with half a dozen other residents, 3 of which had young children in pushchairs & 1 who's wife was in a wheelchair.
Initilaly we had no idea who the car belonged too, so notes were left under the wiper on countless occasions, we then found out the owner lived on the side road that came off ours, and I knocked on the door, the chap apologised, said he'd move it, wouldn't do it again - he carried on.
Another neighbour tried & got the door slammed in her face, her husband went round & was physicaly threatened. We contacted the council, who said they would monitor the situation - They wanted us to take pics, which we did & forward them on to them, after months they had taken no action.
And as for criminal damage, yes it may have been, but not intentional - He had parked at an angle, from my approach it looked like I could get through, was only half way down the car I realised I couldn't - I tried to then pull the buggy out backwards, fully loaded with children & shopping, having only just had a C/S this was not easy, the front wheel twisted and jammed sidways & I had to drag the whole lot out - the clip that held the buggy closed when folded scraped down the side of the car.
In my denfense I did intend once home, shopping unpacked, bubbas sorted & my partner home to go leave a note under his wiper but by then the car had gone....And funnily enough was never parked on our road again - Figured I'd not bother after that

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
None whatsover ;)

Yep..along with half a dozen other residents, 3 of which had young children in pushchairs & 1 who's wife was in a wheelchair.
Initilaly we had no idea who the car belonged too, so notes were left under the wiper on countless occasions, we then found out the owner lived on the side road that came off ours, and I knocked on the door, the chap apologised, said he'd move it, wouldn't do it again - he carried on.
Another neighbour tried & got the door slammed in her face, her husband went round & was physicaly threatened. We contacted the council, who said they would monitor the situation - They wanted us to take pics, which we did & forward them on to them, after months they had taken no action.
And as for criminal damage, yes it may have been, but not intentional - He had parked at an angle, from my approach it looked like I could get through, was only half way down the car I realised I couldn't - I tried to then pull the buggy out backwards, fully loaded with children & shopping, having only just had a C/S this was not easy, the front wheel twisted and jammed sidways & I had to drag the whole lot out - the clip that held the buggy closed when folded scraped down the side of the car.
In my denfense I did intend once home, shopping unpacked, bubbas sorted & my partner home to go leave a note under his wiper but by then the car had gone....And funnily enough was never parked on our road again - Figured I'd not bother after that

He clearly got the message you were going to leave him then :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
haha yeah very good idea with the tape and the spray can :tongue: maybe the tape would be better because technicly it's not criminal damage :tongue: Also maybe not when they are sat in the car like these two guys were. Not seen him since even though it's only the next working day but never know might do soon. Further up into Cottenham there is a shop I pass by where they don't have great deal of parking outside (just a couple real small smart car size spaces) and sooo many times people just park all the way up the street where ever they can even on the path.

In that case, you start off with a very quick circuit of the van with the tape, taping the doors shut.... ;)

For those pedestrians not in possession of a buggy/wheelchair with suitable metal protuberances, perhaps a really heavily studded leather jacket? ;)

Top Bottom