parkrun is back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We thoroughly enjoyed being back on Marlborough Common yesterday! 95 runners/walkers (usually we have about 150) and it was just so lovely to be back!!
We had 280 out of the usual 450.
so it seems the numbers were down across the board. It’s almost exactly the same ratio.

stephec

Legendary Member
The one where I used to be part of the core team used to get around 500, last Saturday they had 332.

I'd have thought it would've been a bumper turn out from the activity on the Facebook page recently.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I was surprised numbers were down. The weather wasn't great here so that probably contributed and it's also the school holidays and many people are already away. We have a HQ team member at our event and his wife was saying that this mirrors the experiences in other countries that have gone back already (ie Japan/Australia). Lower numbers at first, building back up over time.

As a core team member, I (and my friends) were a little relieved it wasn't a bumper event. We are out of practice in every way and scanning/timing is now using an app instead of the previous equipment so a smaller starter event suited us (and probably most event teams) pretty well.

C R

Guru
About half the usual attendance in Worcester Woods, first run of any description since Jan 2020, but managed to keep up with our son who got a PB. Going up and down the stairs was a bit painful yesterday ^_^.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I was surprised looking at the results how few there were at Pontefract Racecourse
https://www.parkrun.org.uk/pontefract/results/eventhistory/

(only 42 of us, ran event #001 there!!)
I ran at the Pontefract racecourse when it was used as a venue for the Northern Cross-Country Championships in about 1990. I assumed that being a racecourse, it would be easier than the usual courses we'd had in the qualifiers up to then (hilly, thick mud, rivers to run through) but if anything, it was tougher due to the long, long hill on every lap and the heavy going underfoot which was consistent throughout - clinging, energy-sapping. Gave us all a new-found respect for the horses who had to do this carrying a person on its back!

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I didn’t run today as I rode with the Go Ride group on a special MTB session. I can’t do parkrun next week as I’m riding an Audax. Should be ok for the week after although I fancy trying a different venue to last week’s. There are plenty of parkruns around where I live in some great settings.

Top Bottom