Parts bin Shimpagnolo turbo trainer build.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
After some research this afternoon I came across a Jtek Shiftmate which is designed to make Shimano and Campy work together, £35 isn't bad so I've ordered the correct version 1. I'll report on how it works. Looks like a very simple low cost solution.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I thought the Shiftmate would arrive this morning, looks like I'll have to wait another day. Shame as I had a couple of hours free this afternoon.

The version 1 is only available in black and purple :ohmy: @JhnBssll would approve! :laugh:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
It arrived this morning, so I got on and fitted it (whilst I should be working!)

It was very straightforward to fit, I removed the old inner cable (as it would have been too short) and cut down the outer loop.

Once fitted it, took about 15 minutes of fine adjustment using the barrel adjuster on the mech to get it indexing up and down the cassette properly, but it does work, the drivetrain noise is quieter because the chain is now in the right place and the indexing is so much smoother. So really pleased, for £35 a really nice easy well engineered solution. So that's it, all finished. On to the next one :becool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
A quick update, I just did 30 minutes on the Tacx and used all 18 gears, the Shiftmate has transformed the drivetrain, it’s smooth, quiet, and the shifting is now really precise. Very pleased!

Next purchase is the Tacx iPad mount.

AF20DD6E-E73F-43AD-BF1E-9F926269FB70.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
A few minor jobs today, I swapped the saddle, as I need the Selle Italia for another project, but the Syncros I have fitted is far more comfortable than it looks.

Just for a bit of fun, I made up a small sticker for the chain stay.

And finally managed to find one of these on Gumtree for £20 posted, should be with me tomorrow.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
It's been almost a month since I finished it, and I've not felt the need to make any further modifications. It now lives in the garage and is permanently attached to the Tacx. it's in constant daily use, we all ride it and it has been faultless. Now it's set up properly with the Shiftmate it changes gear perfectly, I'm really pleased with it, one of those bike which is better than the sum of its parts.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Euros wheels? Bit extravagant isn’t it! 🤣🤣

I've had them in the shed for a while, a mate of mine gave them to me, he was going to chuck them away! The braking surface on the rims are completely worn out so perfect for a turbo!

Top Bottom