Partworks magazines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Having just seen ads for part-work magazines for The Mallard and for some U-boat or other, I was wondering if anyone had ever bought all the part-works and built a model from them. Not necessarily the advertised ones but others. It was HMS Victory a while back I think. I definitely remember one for the Cutty Sark.

It seems to add up to somewhere in the region of £853 for the current models advertised. I was thinking that you could get a heck of a model of The Mallard made for that sort of money and it would take a lot less than 3 years to get it.

I've never collected a part-work but would love to know if anyone here has, or knows anyone who has.

stephec

Legendary Member
I once started off collecting the Carry On Films, stopped after about ten issues though.

Diggs

Veteran
Having just seen ads for part-work magazines for The Mallard and for some U-boat or other, I was wondering if anyone had ever bought all the part-works and built a model from them. Not necessarily the advertised ones but others. It was HMS Victory a while back I think. I definitely remember one for the Cutty Sark.

It seems to add up to somewhere in the region of £853 for the current models advertised. I was thinking that you could get a heck of a model of The Mallard made for that sort of money and it would take a lot less than 3 years to get it.

I've never collected a part-work but would love to know if anyone here has, or knows anyone who has.
You could make one of these for that price.....

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Seen them for sale occasionally, never bought one. For me the risk of missing parts would be too high to spend £100s over several years. Isn't it better to just save up and buy something, then you'd discover any problem quite soon and have some recourse from the shop.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whatever model you build will be about twice the price of what you could get it for in one hit. We have a customer who has a Bonanza CD every fortnight at £4.99 a time, he loves it and reckons it's the best western series ever. He seems to have been buying them forever and has probably spent ten times what a boxed set would cost on Amazon or elsewhere on the net.

What are very popular at the moment are the military watches, I got the first one myself as it was only £2.99. They're now a tenner per issue and probably about 25% overpriced for what they are.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've always looked at the price, worked out the cost and walked on by.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
My mate runs a model shop, I help out.
There was a partwork offering a radio controlled Spitfire. It cost far more to complete than buying an equivalent model, engine & radio gear as well as taking about 2 years to complete the build.
When you also consider that the parts were cheap & nasty and a Spitfire is not a plane to learn to fly on I would advise against them!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
150 weeks at £6 per week?
Oh, but the first issue is just 50p. Just sat through those ads while I was watching the thing about British naval jets on Quest :becool:

Top Bottom