Pashley PDQ steering.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookie32

Looking at picking up a Pashley PDQ from a friend the end on the month. The stem leading to the handlebars has snapped. I was curious if anyone has seen or has a PDQ with USS? I know it's and older bike and out off production so parts and pictures are limited. I've been basing my hunch it may work on the older velotechnik Street Machine as the frame are similar. Any advice or experience offered would be appreciated.

Haven't seen a USS pashley but from the photos it looks possible but the parts will involve welding a bracket to the forks etc , might be easier to repair the OSS style bars . The AtomicZombie website will give you more ideas on the conversion .

regards emma

OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

I may have misspoken. When I used the old Street Machine as an example. I wouldnt want to weld onto a perfectly good fork. I'll make my first attempt at USS based on this pic. I'm thinking (which has a danger all its own) with the right angle of stem (30 degrees or so) should get me on the playing field.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 113
Hi Cookie
First problem I can see is the bars will extend back a long way and give the "tiller" effect and reduce the movement /throw as the bars will hit the body well before you get a reasonable turning circle . ( this is why USS has the mount under the seat )
Having built a LWB bent I have experienced the turning circle of an ocean going liner effect with real Under Seat Steering connected with a 4ft tie rod ,
All things are possible , armed with an angle grinder and a MIG ,:hyper:
but it might be worth copying the original style unless you have the desire to "play" :wub:
Good luck with the project and would love to see the conversion . Photos might help someone else later repair another to keep it on the road .^_^
Can I suggest a mock-up made from wood before you go full steam ahead as I can see a few little opportunities :banghead:that might bite back during the mods :boxing:

Happy new year

regards emma

OP
OP
cookie32

cookie32

Hello Emma,

Let me start with Happy New Year and may all your endeavours be successful ones.

I will admit that movement in regards to the width of the handlebar does have me scratching my head. Mainly because I don't have my hands on the bike yet. My biggest primary concern though is coming to stop sitting forward or upright without wearing the handlebars like a bar stool. I'm fairly tall at 6'2 so that could go either way.

I know most would follow the motto of if it isn't broken why fix it but it's in my genes to tinker. Seeing all the bikes you've built I image you understand where I'm coming from. I'm not sure where this is going to lead but I'll definitely post pictures and brag of my success or moan about my failure. Cheers for the advice.

Top Bottom