Pashley Tourmaster Tandem... impulse purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Hilldodger said:
We have four of those. All have had to have the seat posts welded up when they've cracked......................

Good grief, what 4 Tourmasters?? How, why, where !!
I've been 3 days working on this and the only major prob was... yup, you guessed it, getting the seized posts out. Plusgas + drilling across it and inserting a tommy bar did the trick. I'm now convinced its never been ridden, under all the green "mould" that coats it, its almost pristine :angry: Not even any pitting on the chrome. I'm very happy
:laugh: .........
I recall reading somewhere that Tdrinka has one?

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Arch said:
it's suffered a bit, lapsing behind having internet at home, and knitting;). I must get some more practice....
h to hold the whole bike up as a captain....

Yeah, that always happens, You'll come back to it. If you play when you dont want too its no fun and the uke ( if nothing else) has to be fun!

I'll report back when I find a victim, I mean stoker. The more I read about it the more dangerous it sounds.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Just been thinking about what you said Hilldodger, did you mean the chrome post or the seat tube ie the frame? I mention it cos the seat tube looks unusually reinforced, maybe thats because its only gaspipe. BTW do these things stop, centre pull Weinneman brakes and chrome rims + 2 13 stone blokes "hurtling" ( or even barely moving ) towards a junction is not a happy prospect :laugh: even when there a two back brakes?

bobg said:
Just been thinking about what you said Hilldodger, did you mean the chrome post or the seat tube ie the frame? I mention it cos the seat tube looks unusually reinforced, maybe thats because its only gaspipe. BTW do these things stop, centre pull Weinneman brakes and chrome rims + 2 13 stone blokes "hurtling" ( or even barely moving ) towards a junction is not a happy prospect :biggrin: even when there a two back brakes?

The seat tube itself, usually the front one if a taller person has been riding it.

No, they don't stop very well.....that's all part of the fun.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Ta HD, Thanks, I'll watch out for that, mind you its an easy place to weld. I finished it today and had a ride... great fun and lots of odd looks from passers by. I managed to bribe a friend onto the back but he only lasted till the end of my road before begging to get off!! Whimp!
Yeah, stopping was fun especially as I had cut through one of the inner and outer rear cables in a senior moment. I wonder if extra long SA inner cables are available, I noticed it was a bit frayed. If not theres always those little electrical "block" connectors :smile:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Gis a job :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
No, they don't stop very well.....that's all part of the fun.

There's a certain type of person who can say that and mean it, and you're certainly one of them!

Bobg - I'm sure there are tandem cables on the market. Et voila!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...-Tandem-Length-Brake-Inner-Cable--Each-98.htm

Any queries, try the Tandem club forum:

http://www.tandem-club.org.uk/_dboard.htm

You may find that non cyclists have more fun as stokers than keen cyclists - they tend to want to be in control. Get a non regular rider on it, and they'll probably love it. If you get really keen, you could seek out a blind stoker in need of a pilot. (tandeming also suits some other people with special needs).

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/dis/News2008/20081221_tandemists_wanted.asp

Here's a rare pic of me on one. It was the staff/student cricket match, and by the time I was padded up I could barely walk, so I got a lift to the crease.

View attachment 4695

I was run out before I'd faced a single ball. The same evening we found that the bottle cage held a bottle of red nicely...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Nice. Is that the Mother-of-all-mixte frames on there?
Can't help thinking it'll take some stopping once it's got up to speed.
Are the centre-pulls up to the job?

*edit* Ignore me, I see Hilldogger and others have made the same point

Ah, that's sweet. I'll have to try to scan a picture of the tandem that my Dad used to haul me around on all round Wales, Yorkshire Dales, Lincolnshire & anywhere else he could find. He also used to race on it with a club mate. It was heavy as hell. Once in Wales the brake cable went & he lost the sole of his shoe trying to stop it, running into a banking (fortunately) meaning we had to get the train home. I was about 9 at the time. Funny how you remember things like that.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks all, this is getting increasingly more fun. I nailed my grandson on the back of it this morning. He wasnt amused and neither was his Mum, especially as it was raining and he couldnt reach the pedals even with the seat at the lowest position....... Still is better than the naughty step.
And no they dont stop, I'm thinking of a small anchor strapped to the rack. Another instance when I wish you live nearer Arch, I need somone small who laughes in the face of fear :biggrin:.
The local bike shop had a whole box of brake cables that he'd had for about 20 years. £2 each so I am well catered for. It's the extra long Sturmey Archer cables that I may need in the future. I've bribed another poor sucker to come out this afternoon, trouble is he's 5ft 6 and 9.5 stone and I'm 5ft 11 and 13 stone and he wants to be the captain... should be interesting. Pity theres not a branch of the Tandem Club on Merseyside, mind you Tarquin has already attracted a contingent of the local hooded fraternity so I can understand the reluctance of the club to venture into bandit country.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bobg said:
And no they dont stop, I'm thinking of a small anchor strapped to the rack. Another instance when I wish you live nearer Arch, I need somone small who laughes in the face of fear :sad:.

Small, yes, laugh in the face of fear? No. Scream more like, and shout "watch out!" a lot....:smile:

Top Bottom