Pashley Tourmaster Tandem... impulse purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Went round to the co-op for some tea this afternoon and came back with one of these!
Err ...just need to tell Mrs BG what's under the tarp at the bottom of the garden.
Anybody got any idea of the vintage of these things, I'd guess 60's?
26x1 3/8 wheels, 4 speed SA hub, excellent paintwork, bluemels mudguards and just a little bit of surface rust. I wouldnt fancy a cycling holiday on it but a day out in the summer might be nice. There was an ancient Armstrong tandem too, needed loads of work but I was soooo tempted to get both.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Giz a piccie then

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
purplepolly said:
"Darling, I think I've been spending too much time out on the bike by myself. We should spend more time together" ???

:rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin: If only you know how funny that is. You're talking about a women who thinks any form of exercise will shorten her lifespan by accelerating unnecessary wear on body parts and reduce available time spent reading.
BTW she also views all forms of wildlife with suspicion and has yet to accept that birds serve any useful purpose and would be better wiped off the face of the earth to stop them crapping on her washing

purplepolly

bobg said:
:rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin: If only you know how funny that is. You're talking about a women who thinks any form of exercise will shorten her lifespan by accelerating unnecessary wear on body parts and reduce available time spent reading.

Surely she could read on the back of a tandem?

purplepolly said:
Surely she could read on the back of a tandem?

There was a tandem doing the School Run in Bath earlier this year, Mother on front and child on back nonchalantly texting without a care in the world

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sweet! My boss and his other half have two tandems - a good one, for touring, and an old one for going to the pub/shopping etc...

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Hi Arch, Just spent all day working on, cant wait to try it, all I need is a stoker with a death wish, I've never ridden a tandem before...
BTW How's the ukulele going??

Arch

Married to Night Train
bobg said:
Hi Arch, Just spent all day working on, cant wait to try it, all I need is a stoker with a death wish, I've never ridden a tandem before...
BTW How's the ukulele going??

it's suffered a bit, lapsing behind having internet at home, and knitting;). I must get some more practice....

Key to riding tandem, as I understand it, is communication, you need to warn the stoker when there is a bump, or changing gear and all that. I'm a dreadful stoker, too nervous and determined to be in control, and not really strong enough to hold the whole bike up as a captain....

Top Bottom