Passport renewal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ta monty - will let it lie a while then and leave the priests in peace.
thanks also to milkfloat.

On the pics for anyone else's guidance, it says you need someone else to take the pic if doing your own digital one.
There are machines though that will take a digital pic, upload it to the cloud, give you a code for you to tap into the gov page and then it appears there as if by magic. The machine also checks that your pic meets their requirements.

I did the pic myself using my own camera phone, uploaded it to the site and all was well. Worked fine.

Trickedem

Guru
I renewed mine a couple of months ago. I also changed my first name from Timothy to Tim, so had to provide a little more information. I also used the photobooth and entered the code provided. It took about 10 days to get a new one.
Very impressed with the service.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was very impressed when I renewed my UK Passport a couple of years ago ( pre covid ) Sent the form off and expired Passport on the Wednesday and the new Passport dropped through the letterbox on the Saturday morning. It came with the regular post, nothing to sign, no ring on the doorbell, just popped in with the rest of the post.
My Irish passport took about two weeks ( again, pre Covid ), but that one had lapsed a couple of years previously.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I renewed mine this year from Germany. My old one had expired 6 months previous and I had no problems renewing.

There were no additional costs or extra admin because it had expired, just the same as renewing a valid passport.

With regards the photo, I was lucky in having a friend with a semi professional photography set up, but the website actually checks the photo you upload and let's you know if it meets the requirements.

All in all the process was quick simple and painless. I forget the turn around time, bit it was only a few weeks.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I wait until we get the EU ones back or someone can make an honorary Scotsman. 😁
I’m pretty sure my dad was originally from Wales. A Welsh Passport would look really great with the Red Dragon on it. Probably be a fair bit cheaper as well, since they wouldn’t have to print any vowels.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I had to get mine re-done about 3 years ago due to change of address. It was much shorter than 10 weeks (I think it was about 2). The timescale they give is an upper limit, but who knows now what with Covid and Brexit. I would think the best thing to do is to phone them and get it from the horses mouth, if you have the time and energy to be on hold. You could even explain why and when you need it by and see what they suggest. There is a more expensive option to have it done more quickly. I once had to go up to London and get it done on the same day

Brexit shouldn’t affect passport renewals should it? It’s not like all current passports have suddenly expired.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Brexit shouldn’t affect passport renewals should it? It’s not like all current passports have suddenly expired.
Unless there’s a problem importing them from Poland 😉

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I renewed mine online just after Brexit. It took 2 weeks to get here. Now the rush has started it is taking a bit longer. My only problem was the online application would not take my scanner passport photo. I took a photo of the passport photo and used that. It worked fine. You do not need confirmation signatures.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
THis thread made me go and check my passport. It expires in less than a year, so I'd probably best start thinking about renewing it sometime soon ish.
Ta for this - makes me feel like I'm not a total dope - slightly surprised that I remembered mine was running out.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Did mine 6 weeks ago .. out of date / renewal .. went to Max Speilman photographers at local Tescos, got code .. renewed in about 10 minutes on line, cost £8.99 for code and £75 for passport ... couldn’t be simpler.

Julia9054

Guru
Just renewed mine - my old one had just expired. Took about 3 weeks to come. You can take your own pic - it took several goes for me to get one that passed the lighting/exposure/shadows requirements but I had no choice - the photographer I used last time has closed down and the local post office has removed the photo booth machine for some reason.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Just renewed mine - my old one had just expired. Took about 3 weeks to come. You can take your own pic - it took several goes for me to get one that passed the lighting/exposure/shadows requirements but I had no choice - the photographer I used last time has closed down and the local post office has removed the photo booth machine for some reason.
quick question on taking your own pic - does the online system give you an immediate verdict on whether your pic is OK or is it down to you to check? And if the latter and you get it wrong, does this screw up your application in any way?
sorry to be a bore - like to be prepared for any issues.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You only need that malarkey for the first one. Your previous passport, whether in date or expired is the proof they use that you are who you say you are.

On taking your own photo... my first two got rejected so went to Wilkinson Cameras to get one done by them (£5 i think). That was accepted but wasn't any better than the ones I'd taken myself :blush:
My passport expired for a couple of years and I had to jump through all the hoops again to get another one. Things may have changed now I admit.

Top Bottom