Password managers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I tried Lastpass for a while but never really got on with it. I can't quite say why but it just seemed overly complicated asking one to categorise different uses plus numerous marketing emails for this that and the other, etc. In summary i just didn't like it! All I wanted was to store passwords!

Google is simple; generates and stores passwords which are accessible across multiple devices and load whenever needed. Never asks a question other than when an old legacy password crops up offering to change it. Once logged in access to one's passwords is quick and easy not that there's any real need to do this. One remembered password does it all.

Banking requires at least two, in some instances three, levels of security.

To me security is very simple, commonsense really and I find it hard to understand how people get sucked in. Unexpected email? Spam. Unsolicited phone call? Scam or marketing. Ignore. Anyone who needs me will leave a message. The only time I answer an unknown number is when I'm expecting a call, the NHS for example. This is your bank. Scam.

It's not difficult.
 

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Location
Inside my skull
Where password managers come into their own is

  • Strong password generation to meet criteria of a website
  • Allowing you to keep passwords different across different sites.
  • 2FA token generation (which used to be hardware fobs)
  • Passkeys
  • Alias email addresses
  • Dark web and breach monitoring
 

Over the Ord

Senior Member
Location
Caithness
I want my passwords to be long random 15 characters with letters, numbers, symbols, upper and lower case with a written and electronic copy stashed away.

My go to app is Bitwarden free version it does pass keys and 2PA (for some sites) I have no problems with it on windows pc and iOS devices it updates across all my devices automatically, have never used it on an android device.

I print a hard copy & save a electronic copy to a usb device 3 - 4 a year, the printed copy is for the family when they will needed, as it has the Bitwarden password on it and security key with it.

Unlike a friend’s family, when on the husband’s demise no one could find a copy of the one password that would allow them to access all passwords.
 
I use Proton Pass. I already had their VPN and then I discovered my current password manager didn't support passkeys so I'm slowly switching over to Proton
 
Top Bottom