Pat Rohan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bambosz

Regular
Hi good evening.
I just stumbled across this thread about your Pat Rohan frame.
Pat sadly passed away earlier today(he was my uncle) but seeing his bikes being restored is amazing. In due course I will try and get you some more information but yes Pat and his wife owned and ran Rohan’s cycles in Rayners Lane until they eventually sold up and moved to little Hampton.

I’ll dig out some more information for you when I can.
Matt
Dear Matt,
I'm really sorry to hear such a sad news.
I will treat it an additional motivation to complete the bike restoration - to honor your uncle.
It looks like owning one of Pat Rohan's bikes is already a rare case, but knowing also some details of its birth - would be the real priviledge.
Thus, I'm very grateful for your offer, can also share two numbers existing on the frame - whenever you are ready to start your reasearch.

I'm fully convinced that Pat Rohan name lasts for ages.

Take care!!!
Tom

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@brookzymatt if you stumble upon a record of frame numbers that was used please find a safe place for it .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The quality 531 frames will continue to be appreciated by those in the know. The main problem with the small volume custom stuff is they often used decals for headbadges rather than riveted metal ones. That means when a frame goes through it's unloved banger years and acquires a sloppy tart-up paint job, the original origin of the frame gets obscured. There are many many really nice hand built lightweight frames out there still being used, but where the owner has no idea who actually built it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't own anything fancy enough to have a really special headbadge, just the mass produced Raleigh and Dawes ones. My most unusual one, an Ian May 531 touring frame just has a fairly nondescript "IMC" sticker. I can obtain one easily enough, so it will get reinstated after I get the frame powder coated. The important thing is the paint & decals are original even if scruffy, so at least I know what it is and the fact it is quite rare.

Harzey

Hi!- I am Pat Rohans brother -in law. I can fill in some details ,however I am not a cycling person. My to eldest sons both in their teens would go to 'Uncle Pat and Aunty Gill's shop. As one of them said recently, a virtial Aladins Cave!. As am in my eighties and not to good at computers hope this all makes some sense. As I remember, his frame builder lived in Letchworth and in the summer used to cycle from Letchworth to Rayners Lane. My family lived in Harrow Weald. (That is the Dudleys) I seem to recall he used Reynolds 301 tubing. Rohans Cycles made bespoke cycles for customers all over the world and I think Pat used to race but am not sure on that point. As soon as more info will let you all know. In closing, Pat was much respected in cycling community and also locally.

keefyk

I have a Pat Rohan bike built for me in the winter of ‘86/87. At the time I was a triathlete so wanted the bike to be a bit different, so when being measured up I ask for it to be painted Pearl pink. I fitted it with Mavic SSC throughout except that I had to put a temporary Bottom bracket in as the one that was sent was the wrong type of thread. The bike was all put together by the chaps at Ealing Cycles who also made my wheels. Not ridden it in many years as it was a 531pro frame and I’m far too heavy to ride it now. I saw a similar bike to mine in the summer of ‘87 at an event even down to the exact Pearl Pink colour. Sad to hear of Pat’s passing, but his legacy does live on.

keefyk

Yep, no room unfortunately. Tbh it’s been moved from location to location and not ridden, so maybe I should look at moving it on permanently. Not sure how much it would fetch though?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yep, no room unfortunately. Tbh it’s been moved from location to location and not ridden, so maybe I should look at moving it on permanently. Not sure how much it would fetch though?
Well depending upon your location and the bike size I could be interested

Howmanybikes

Regular
Hi!- I am Pat Rohans brother -in law. I can fill in some details ,however I am not a cycling person. My to eldest sons both in their teens would go to 'Uncle Pat and Aunty Gill's shop. As one of them said recently, a virtial Aladins Cave!. As am in my eighties and not to good at computers hope this all makes some sense. As I remember, his frame builder lived in Letchworth and in the summer used to cycle from Letchworth to Rayners Lane. My family lived in Harrow Weald. (That is the Dudleys) I seem to recall he used Reynolds 301 tubing. Rohans Cycles made bespoke cycles for customers all over the world and I think Pat used to race but am not sure on that point. As soon as more info will let you all know. In closing, Pat was much respected in cycling community and also locally.
Hi, whether you ever read this, may I add this note. I read that Ron Thomas worked as a frame builder for Pat Rohan. If this is correct, maybe you could verify it? I have a frame by Ron Thomas and the bottom bracket is stamped with Letchworth and a road name too. Could be the same frame builder you mentioned.

Top Bottom