Pat Rohan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Surprised

Hi, I stumbled across this site after starting to rebuild my old Pat Rohan. It was built by Ron Thomas in 1984 and is the original paint work. I’m not sure what to do with it next. If I keep it original will probably not ride it much as the gearing will be too high for where I live. Anyone got any thoughts?

midlife

Guru
Nice :smile:, love the graceful Mercian type gentle fork rake. I'd look for a Shimano drive train of the era as that would allow a smaller chainring and a larger cog at the back. The campag chainset you have is limited to 42 (41is the smallest but vanishingly rare) and the Nuovo Record rear mech is notoriously flakey on larger cogs lol.

Looks almost ready to ride :smile:, are you over six foot?

Last edited:

Surprised

Thanks for the replies. I’m just under 6 foot but did a lot of miles on the bike racing & training in the 80’s. I’m torn between finishing it off with the equipment you see, which would make it more of a museum piece, or modernising.

midlife

Guru
There's a thread on lfgss with modern stuff on old frames.

There's lots of period stuff that will look like it belongs which can help. Shimano 7400 chainsets go down to 39 rings I think, Stronglight even less and then there is good old TA :smile:. Plus mechs that can handle lower gears. Have you ridden a modern bike?

carpenter

Über Member
Hi, whether you ever read this, may I add this note. I read that Ron Thomas worked as a frame builder for Pat Rohan. If this is correct, maybe you could verify it? I have a frame by Ron Thomas and the bottom bracket is stamped with Letchworth and a road name too. Could be the same frame builder you mentioned.

Hi,
I grew up in Letchworth, but have no memory of there being a local frame builder although that doesn't mean that there weren't any :smile:

There were three shops which sold bikes - "Haddows" in "The Wynd" had a couple of workshops separate from the shop.
Out of personal interest, what is the name of the road on your BB? It may trigger some memories.

You could also try contacting Hitchin "Nomads" they were the main cycle club in the area in the 60's/70's and are still in existence (they may have an older member who remembers frame building in the area? - there was also Letchworth "Velo" but I don't think that they were as active.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/hitchinnomads/

Have a look at this, Sugino AT chainset will go down to less than 36 inner, which is what I have and doesn’t look out of place. Perhaps look for a Campagnolo Victory/Triomphe which is about that period and goes pretty small inner, some were triple. Biggest rear sprocket you can get (26) with your derailleurs and you’re pretty much set up for all except (over)loaded touring.
Finally as I like it, third chainwheel been on and off (too tight stay clearance) NOS Continental Supersport tyres, and a B17 so I can fit a saddlebag.
View attachment 602619

Surprised

There's a thread on lfgss with modern stuff on old frames.

There's lots of period stuff that will look like it belongs which can help. Shimano 7400 chainsets go down to 39 rings I think, Stronglight even less and then there is good old TA :smile:. Plus mechs that can handle lower gears. Have you ridden a modern bike?
That is a very useful thought. I have a titanium modern bike with very low gears for the hills where I live, so the Pat Rohan is not going to be my main bike, but It would be nice to be able to ride it on nice days without feeling it is a struggle on the hills. (oh - for the days when I could ride around north Wales with a 42x21 bottom gear)

Howmanybikes

Regular
I live in N Wales, in between the Dee and Ceiriog valleys, so every ride out, results in a hill climb of 20% at least. I too could climb these hills 50 years ago using 42x21 gearing now I use 32x32 and still walk a bit! I have indulged in electrical assistance which is so helpful these days.😏

Top Bottom