Patch bumped and didn't last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bayke

Hello,

I'm fairly new to cycling. I have a foldable 20 inches bike and got a puncture.
I fixed the inner tube with a patch and it held 3 months while riding the bike almost every day.

Yesterday I found my back tire flat. I removed the inner tube and here how the tube looks like once inflated (I inflated it outside the tire and it became huge so I probably made things worse but I think the patch was already not in good shape).

My question is: what did I do wrong when I applied the patch? I deflated the inner tube, I cleaned the area and I applied a large amount of Godzilla glue and I put the patch. I waited 24 hours before riding the bike. As I said, it was holding fine, the inner tube never got looser within those 3 months (at least not to the point I could feel any issue). And just suddenly went totally flat overnight.

I can see some damage around the edges of the patch and it's "bumped".

I'd like to know what did I do wrong so that if it happens another time, I do it better.

Thanks,
Mike

img_3153_1713c30e2fc306f9a1b0e962e6abcf5d419c996e.jpg
img_3154_965c23d2d1424418f0f7a1379855c971bb96559c.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
Local bike shop and get a proper tube of puncture repair 'glue'. It is designed for rubber to rubber adhesion. Leave for 5 minutes after gluing before applying patch. And all the things above ^^^

Reactions: C R

raggydoll

Über Member
As above.

You can also get pre glued patches. (Some likes them and some don't)
I have some but have never had the need to use them so can't comment on how good they are.

I find with the little tubes of proper puncture repair glue the glue often goes hard once opened so is then useless when I go to use it again.

Anyone else find this or know how to stop it happening?
Buy more glue I'm thinking!?^_^

I didn't even know that "normal" glue would work AT ALL on tube patches - might be useful in an emergency :P

I find with the little tubes of proper puncture repair glue the glue often goes hard once opened so is then useless when I go to use it again.

Anyone else find this or know how to stop it happening?
Try opening the tube at the metal end - i.e. unroll it. Then roll back up again - this makes a much tighter seal. But they still go hard after a year-or-so (I haven't logged this, so it's complete guesswork).

It does seem a waste to chuck 'em when they dry out, only 2% used ... :sad:

raggydoll

Über Member
I didn't even know that "normal" glue would work AT ALL on tube patches - might be useful in an emergency :P

Try opening the tube at the metal end - i.e. unroll it. Then roll back up again - this makes a much tighter seal. But they still go hard after a year-or-so (I haven't logged this, so it's complete guesswork).

It does seem a waste to chuck 'em when they dry out, only 2% used ... :sad:

Cheers. Good tip!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You want rubber cement / solution. It’s actually rubber dissolved in a solvent. The solvent evaporates and you end up with your inner tube and patch bonded chemically with the now non liquid rubber.

You apply the rubber cement and wait till it is tacky and then apply the patch. It becomes tacky when most of solvent has evaporated. In winter breathe on the solution if it’s not drying. That provides enough heat for the solvent to evaporate.

The glue you used won’t form a good bond with rubber flexing as much as a tube when ridden. Thus eventually going as you’ve observed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bayke

Thanks a lot for your valuable answers.

I indeed meant Gorilla glue, I googled "Godzilla glue" and that's definitely not what I used :laugh:

Yes the Gorilla glue seemed to work at first but I guess you are all right that when riding, it wasn't the good one. I do have the glue with the puncture kit but I thought it was less good, my fault...

I've changed the inner tube for now because I tried to remove the patch and it was so tight that I believe I broke the tube even more. That's the surprising part, the Gorilla glue does seem to work very well for most part but probably not very good around the edges. It's now impossible to remove the patch. Anyway it's a good experience.

So if it can help other people, here are the mistakes I made according to the replies:
- I used a "normal" glue instead of the provided one
- I applied the patch directly when I applied the glue (I didn't let the glue dry)
- I probably put too much glue too
- Even though I waited 24 hours to ride the bike, I did pump the inner tube 5 minutes after applying the patch. Could be better to wait longer before pumping and putting back the tube

Thanks again. I hope to contribute to other discussions soon.

Mike

Last edited:

raggydoll

Über Member
Also get a couple of spare tubes of the right size. (check the size of your current tubes if you don't know what size to get)
You will use them eventually.
If you get a puncture in the rain you can then put a new tube in then fix the puncture in the warmth of your house!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As long as you’ve waited for the solution to go tacky before applying the patch. It should be good to stick back in tyre. By time you’ve got the bead of tyre back in rim and check tube not caught between tyre and rim. It should be all good to start pumping. A tiny amount of air in tube before you insert in tyre helps with avoiding pinching between tyre and rim.

GuyBoden

Guru
A few thoughts on Gorilla Glue.

Gorilla glue is made from polyurethane, so expands during curing, so it's a strange glue. It's become popular due to a lot of promotion/advertising.

When you glue two surface together with the stuff, after curing you get a bubble of polyurethane between them. Not ideal in most situations, IMHO. Definitely not for punctures.

Do you mean Gorilla Glue. I did a google search and Godzilla Glue is ... erm ... something else.

Assuming yes, I would not use Gorilla Glue for patching tubes. I'd use the rubber solution glue that comes in a puncture kit. This is formulated to enter into a chemical reaction with the butyl in the tube I think. And I don't apply a large amount, just enough to cover the roughened area in a thin film. Then let it go dry to touch and then apply the patch. Then sprinkle with talc (so any exposed glue doesn't stick to stuff) and apply pressure (pile of books, clamp) for a few hours. Next day I pump the tube up and leave it for a couple of days. If it's still ok after that I wrap it up and put it in my spares box.
yep this is my understanding - the patch liquid/"glue" isn't glue in the conventional sense - it works by means of some sort of reaction with the tyre/patch - i think the technical name gives the nod to this ("vulcanising solution"?) - either that or it's made by extracting sperm from angels.

simongt

Guru
You can also get pre glued patches. (Some likes them and some don't)
I have some but have never had the need to use them so can't comment on how good they are.
I've used the Park Tool self adhesive patches quite often. Useful for getting you home. Only issue I've had with them is if you have to put the patch over the seam on the inner tube, it can lead to air bleeding out along the seam under the patch. :whistle:

raggydoll

Über Member
I've used the Park Tool self adhesive patches quite often. Useful for getting you home. Only issue I've had with them is if you have to put the patch over the seam on the inner tube, it can lead to air bleeding out along the seam under the patch. :whistle:

I always use the little bit of sandpaper to rub down the seam if the hole is near a seam.

Never know when to stop though! Probably end up with a paper thin tube!

Last edited:
Top Bottom