Patch bumped and didn't last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For reliable traditional puncture repair with rubber solution and a patch with a feathered edge:
Id the puncture and mark the centre with a bits of a cross but I dont write within the patch area.
Rough up the surface a bit larger than the patch using med sandpaper.
Wipe the tube free of contamination.
Spread very thin layer of rubber solution. Wait a few mins for it to get tacky.
I apply a 2nd thin layer.
Remove sticky side paper and roll on excluding all air. Press from middle to edge.
Crack the protective foil/plastic film in half and peel from centre to edge.
You can put some chalk onto any remaining tacky surface ( I dont).
Practicec a few times .
Use a new spare inner as 1st resort for roadside repair.

Any peeling you do from edge to centre will weaken the bond.

You can deal with the "rubber solution going hard in the tube" issue by buying the remarkably cheap puncture repair outfits from the Pound Shop. Most of the stuff in the box is useless, but the adhesive is superb, and comes in very small tubes. Combined with Reema Tip top patches, you can't go wrong.

rrarider

Veteran
Always have an unopened tube of rubber solution for repairs on the road, in case of two punctures whilst you are out. That way you will know that it hasn't dried out. For this I recommend Wilko basic kits, as they have very small solution tubes and good patches as well.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Latex tubes take patches exceptionally well, something to do with the rubber cement being more compatible with natural rubber. Plus they're too expensive to throw away!

Top Bottom