Patello-Femoral Knee Pain (Chondromalacia Patellae)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Vikeonabike

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
The road to recovery

First full commute last night....31 miles. Awesome ride home at 1am on empty country roads under a cloudless Lincolnshire sky...I was giggling like an overgrown schoolboy.:biggrin:

Bill Gates

I've got sore knees at the moment, and the worse one is my good knee; the one I've never ever had any problems with before. The other one has had four operations.

I've put it down to tendonitis and am taking Ibuprofen tablets and pain relieving gel plus resting up for a few days to see if the pain goes away.

postman

Legendary Member
Four op's on one knee .How long were your recovery periods .Before you could get out on the bike .

You see i am into week 4 and have been doing all the exercises given to me .Past two weeks i have been on reasonable short walks tolocal cafes .And still got this feeling of a build up of fluid behind the knee .Like a small balloon being blown up .Then it slightly goes down .

But i am beginning to get stir crazy .And i may have another 3 weeks before i see the Surgeon .Having to miss the first meeting this week .No transport to Harrogate .

Bill Gates

postman said:
Four op's on one knee .How long were your recovery periods .Before you could get out on the bike .

The first of my knee operations was performed nearly 40 years ago on a snapped medial ligament injury from playing football. There were then 2 aborted attempts at a football comeback with first another ligament repair attempt and then a torn cartiliage before football gave me up. It was only then I started riding a bike for strengthening the quad muscles.

If I remember it took about 3 months to get aerobic fitness and strength back after each operation, but in those days recovery took a lot longer due to the prevailing surgical techniques and longer immobilisation of the knee following the operation.

The knee arthroscopy recovery time was brilliant; I was riding again within a couple of weeks. Now both knees are very sore and I'm monitoring them on a daily basis before attempting to ride. Might be a week, 2 weeks a month or 2 months or longer but if I don't get them right then they'll always be inflammed.

Getting back any sort of form for racing is getting harder and harder and right now I can't see it happening ever again.

postman

Legendary Member
Wishing you all the best .I am getting a littlt fed up .I am not one for wasting time or sitting about

Light training after three weeks is mentioned in thr bumf i was given .So i might just tootle on some flat ground .
I should then get a reaction good or bad .

Take care of those knees .

Bill Gates

postman said:
Wishing you all the best .I am getting a littlt fed up .I am not one for wasting time or sitting about

Light training after three weeks is mentioned in thr bumf i was given .So i might just tootle on some flat ground .
I should then get a reaction good or bad .

Take care of those knees .

I've been contributing to cycling forums for 5 years or so, and to my knowledge in that time, I have seen very little posted about sore knees. Then over the last few weeks there seems to be a whole spate of riders who are suffering from them. Coincidence or the cold weather?

OP
OP
Vikeonabike

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
My knees are on the road to recovery, not able to ride flat out yet, but have done 100 miles the last two weeks. Half of it into a fairly strong head wind.
Hopefully by next week I will be able to go back to my usual route that has a few rolling hills on it.
I have found since returning from the injury that my "good" knee has been a little sore recently (overcompensating for the injured one?).

Top Bottom