Paul Hewitt any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

If I can't make it fit then I will re sell it. I did read that Mark Cavendish rides a 49cm frame and he is slightly tall than me so fingers crossed it may be ok.

Cav is 5'9, so around average height. Don't assume that Cav's 49cm frame will bear any similarity to a similarly sized touring frame.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Cav is 5'9, so around average height. Don't assume that Cav's 49cm frame will bear any similarity to a similarly sized touring frame.
I was half joking re the Cav comment but wouldn't touring geometry mean generally a longer top tube than that of Cav's race machine?

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
No, I would have suggested the exact opposite.
Surely a bike geared towards touring would be a little longer in both top tube and chainstay length simply to give more stability and more heel clearance when loaded.
Cav's 49cm Venge had a top tube c/c of 518mm, the smallest frame Hewitt Chiltern has a top tube c/c of 535mm.

S-Express

Cav's 49cm Venge had a 130mm stem on it - and he didn't stay long on the 49 anyway and went back to a 52 shortly after. He's been on a 51cm S5 this season.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Stem length is a component of overall fit, just like TT length or several other critical measurements.
Of course it is but I'm simply talking about frame size. My original comment was regarding Cav riding a 49cm frame so being an inch smaller than Cav I may be ok riding a 50cm Hewitt which I've just purchased on a whim.
You then said I shouldn't assume Cav's 49cm frame would bear any similarity to a similarly sized touring frame.
My comment re. Cav was half made in jest I'm simply hoping that this Hewitt fits, I am aware that they are two completely different frame geometries meant for different disciplines but you are wrong to say touring frames in general do not have longer top tubes than race bikes, for stability they do.

I am not wanting to enter into an argument here, I read with interest many of your posts, you really know what you are talking about but on this occasion you are wrong.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have a mate called Paul Hewitt so about 2 years ago i picked up a 2nd retro Paul Hewitt bike and he was the obvious buyer for said bike , he loves it a lot

e-rider

crappy member
comparing Cav's race bike with a Hewitt tourer is just a stupid thing to do - stop it now!
the bike is small, end of.
the buyer got a great deal whether it fits or not, and he is lucky that the seller is actually willing to let it go for that price, after all, ebay would send him a one line email saying "naughty boy" if he refused to sell it, and I doubt the buyer would chase it through the courts!
sell it on for a 400% profit if it doesn't fit - just use buy-it-now instead of auction

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0773.JPG
I collected the Hewitt Chiltern this morning, I'm absolutely delighted, the bike is like new, it still has the little moulding tags on the tyres and protective plastic on the rear mech and shifters. Even better is that it's a Medium frame, the actual seat tube centre to top is 483mm but it has a sloping top tube which according to the Hewitt geometry chart the effective seat tube is 540mm. I think the angle of the photo I posted earlier makes it look much smaller.
Can't wait to give it a try.

Last edited:
I think it will be too small, if it is then I'd be selling it on CTC website and other audax/touring ones.I think you'd get £5-600 for it.
Interesting as I have a very similar bike to sell - a Byercycles which I believe is the same frame.

Must get round to it.

yes - it will be on here - or ctc - it's essentially the same bike as yours I think. But flat bar. Will be looking for £500. Which is what I paid for it (and was described by a very knowledgeable bike friend as a bargain at that so you have got a mega bargain). I never really rode it - knew sod all about bike sizing at the time and it is too small for me :smile:

Top Bottom