Paul Hewitt any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0762.PNG
IMG_0764.PNG
IMG_0758.PNG
IMG_0756.PNG
IMG_0763.PNG
I've just bought a 2 year old Hewitt Audax/Touring bike. Does anyone have any experience of their bikes?
I bought it on a bit of a whim, I'm pretty sure I've got a real bargain. I pick it up on Tuesday so am really excited. Here are a few pics;

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Might be some discussion of interest here

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/hewitt-cheviot-se.210906/

Or via the search function for older threads

S-Express

It's a frame, fitted with off-the-shelf parts - much like any other bike. I've no idea whether his customer service is good or bad, but as Vickster points out, it is entirely irrelevant in this case.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Well I've read some reviews now and they seem to be very well regarded bikes. As Vickster said customer service doesn't really come into the equation when buying second hand. My only worry is that the frame is slightly smaller than what I usually ride but it does look to have a lay back seat post and I could always swap the stem.
It looks in fab condition, I can't wait to pick it up.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Looks nice, how much was it if you dont mind me asking? wa it around the £600 mark?
It's a bit embarrassing to say but there was no reserve and a got it for £152!
I only saw the bike 10 minutes before auction end so didn't have time to ask any questions but have since been in touch with the seller who seems completely genuine and had lots of info on the bike.

e-rider

crappy member
It's a bit embarrassing to say but there was no reserve and a got it for £152!
I only saw the bike 10 minutes before auction end so didn't have time to ask any questions but have since been in touch with the seller who seems completely genuine and had lots of info on the bike.
it's a bargain price that's for sure - however, no doubt the lack of interest came from the fact that it is an incredibly small bike! I hope you are shorter than a 12-year-old?

It is fitted with a womans saddle too, suggesting a small female owner.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Absolute bargain, I think they are about £1500 new, thats what my friend paid for his. Is it definatley your size? it looks small for a mans.
I'm not sure about the size. I usually ride a 54cm frame but also have a 52cm bike and prefer the shorter top tube. The Hewitt is a 50cm frame but as I mentioned I didn't have time to ask any questions so I don't know what the geometry is like, I would have liked to have known the top tube length.
Anyway as kneesup said the parts alone are worth the purchase price so I'm happy either way.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Although it wasn't listed as a ladies bike I could see that the saddle was female specific. It turns out it was built for his wife who hardly rode it.

It was probably too small for her.

Only kidding, but it does look like a very small bike.

Hopefully you can make it fit, but as has been pointed out, if it doesn't fit you could sell the bike/bits for at least what you paid for it.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think it will be too small, if it is then I'd be selling it on CTC website and other audax/touring ones.I think you'd get £5-600 for it.
If I can't make it fit then I will re sell it. I did read that Mark Cavendish rides a 49cm frame and he is slightly taller than me so fingers crossed it may be ok.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think it will be too small, if it is then I'd be selling it on CTC website and other audax/touring ones.I think you'd get £5-600 for it.

Could be, although very small and very large bikes are notoriously difficult to sell.

The cheapest bikes on the clearance sites such as Paul's are often small or large.

One might think a buyer who fits a small bike would be delighted to find a bike that fits and be prepared to pay for it.

But such buyers know the seller won't have many other offers, so they can barter the price down.

Top Bottom