Paul Kimmage suspicious of Sky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Not good is it.

:sigh:

Armstrong has a lot to answer for.:sad:

oldroadman

Veteran
Kimmage was never quite good enough, and has since turned to accusing anyone any good of what he confessed to doing himself, resorting to the chemical method. He does not seem to be able to accept that post-Armstrong, the sport has shifted in the right direction. The BW tour win suggests that the whole peloton is cleaner, and Sky have their coaching spot on. It's very sad that Kimmage can only see mud slinging as a way to make a living from the sport that once paid him. He looks a bit pathetic, I just hope Sky decide they would like to challenge him in court to prove what he is suggesting.

Noodley

Kimmage was never quite good enough, and has since turned to accusing anyone any good of what he confessed to doing himself, resorting to the chemical method.

But he has mostly been right. And the "never quite good enough" line is the classic response from those who turn a blind eye to doping...

oldroadman

Veteran
But he has mostly been right. And the "never quite good enough" line is the classic response from those who turn a blind eye to doping...

Just a small response - he was never quite good enough to make a big impact, a good amateur but didn't have the ability as a pro, although he was OK as a team rider.
Please don't ever, even vaguely, suggest I am amongst those who condone, or turn a blind eye, to doping. It stinks and always will, in any sport.

Noodley

Just a small response - he was never quite good enough to make a big impact, a good amateur but didn't have the ability as a pro, although he was OK as a team rider.
Please don't ever, even vaguely, suggest I am amongst those who condone, or turn a blind eye, to doping. It stinks and always will, in any sport.

Perhaps think a bit more about what you post if you do not wish to be associated with the "history" of such comments.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I heard a sports scientist saying on the radio that after 15 years of "unbelievable" performances, this year's cyclists were turning in "believable" performances in terms of watts per kilo and the times taken up certain well-known climbs. Is Kimmage suggesting that Wiggo and his pals had doped but somehow managed to throttle back and still beat everyone else?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Apart from the times for climbs being slower than for many years, output lower etc, Wiggins didn't simply ride away from his doped up rivals which Armstrong did. One of the major suspicious indicators of LA's drug abuse was the fact that he beat other proven dopers like Pantani, Basso with such apparent ease. Wiggins visibly struggled up some of the mountains and won mainly due to limiting losses and TTing so well.
None of this is proof that BW isn't on the dope but coupled with his stance against doping it convices me as far as is possible. Kimmage is still smarting that he Wiggins didn't want him along for the ride on the Sky bus and the fact that he wasn't keen on discussing dopage in his yellow jersey press conferences.
Much as I admired Kimmage for keeping on keeping on at the cancer in the sport, I think he should do more than just throw accusations around. If he feels there is some evidence out there to be exposed re Sky then he should dig it out much as Walsh did with LA.

Booyaa

Veteran
He does make some good points but always seems to be slinging mud around, not sure I take him very seriously, would be interested to hear Sky's response and hope it is not a "we have nothing to say about this.."

raindog

er.....
I suspect there are going to be quite a few folk who will refuse to believe any Sky doping stories regardless of origin.
But there aren't any "Sky doping stories" are there? Or have I missed summat?
Surely we need more than "Brad won the Tour, and Sky got second place team prize so they must be doping"?

beastie

Guru
If any one is doping at sky it is on an individual basis. It would be inconceivable for a team wide structured program to exist. I would just about bet my house on that.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
"just about" bet my house. Shows no one is 100% convinced. It would be awful if BW was on the gear, not even bearable to think about.

The article I read late 2012 was about how the skinny guys were winning TT's and how un-natural that is etc.

Kimmage seem like he has one track mind and one line of questions, unless he has any evidence he should just stay stum. He seems to throw so much mud around in the hope that he will be proved right at some point.

I'd be very surprised and saddened if any dopage was going on at sky of course, my point was just that there is a faction of fans who could not accept any wrong doing there regardless of who/where the story or rumour came from. Personally I think it was a clean season for them and most others, and hope it continues to improve.

Top Bottom