Paul Sherwen R.I.P

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Very sad news.

It would be nice to see a tribute during next year's Tour. I can't imagine there's a great deal of action from his racing days. One source speaks of him "brilliantly winning the bunch sprint for seventh" on the Roubaix stage in 1981, so there's hope!

And his finest moment, from 1978:

Sherwen78.JPG

:smile:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are the two National Championship wins (amongst others). And grand tour domestiques aren't judged just by their wins.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
There are the two National Championship wins (amongst others). And grand tour domestiques aren't judged just by their wins.
I believe you've entirely misread my tone.

His two National Championships were indeed great achievements. But to have a prominent position in one of the sport's most iconic moments would be a highlight for any rider.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
RIP, Paul.

Escaping from Widnes is a massive achievement in itself for a Widnesian, never mind riding seven tours after so doing.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've remembered another achievement, this time from Paul's final tour as a rider in 1985. Early in one stage - I think it was through the Jura to Pontarlier, so medium mountain - he crashed into a barrier injuring his back, then rode the rest of the stage alone finishing well outside the cut-off. At the time I remember it being said that no-one had previously been allowed back into the race in such circumstances. That may not be completely accurate, but I'm confident it's a very rare privilege for a lone rider to be so treated.

Reading it again, I appreciate that my earlier post might have looked as though I was belittling him as a rider - most unfortunate if this is how it seemed. I was merely trying to add a little colour and a touch of irony. A much-loved rider and personality.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
William Fotheringham has written this obit in the Grauniad.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/10/paul-sherwen-obituary

Top Bottom