Pavement cycling police...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I guess the police officers in question are simply not really cyclists but POB's, Plod On Bike's! ;0)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Surely it depends on when and how... I can't imagine that if there is a road next to the pavement going where he needs to go that he will chose the pavement instead of the road - I mean would you?

But where I live there are paths linking roads that the criminals will use... (I have to admit there is one that I cycle down - but I get off if I see anyone at all and give way to them - it makes me wider than if I was sitting on the bike but its what I should do). I would rather the police cycled 50 down that path than taking the 850 m by road it would take to get to the same spot. (Especially as I know its a place where some there have been some drug supply problems in the past).

thomas

the tank engine
Vikeonabike said:
:biggrin: Who Knows?

In all seriousness though, I do, generally, disagree with police cycling on the pavement.

summerdays said:
Surely it depends on when and how... I can't imagine that if there is a road next to the pavement going where he needs to go that he will chose the pavement instead of the road - I mean would you?

In emergency, a pavement short cut could be acceptable, if safe and say you've bike's blue and twos are on.

I would only make an exception, when going to an emergency call. Just because a general police car can't overtake on the wrong side of traffic island, etc, when it's not on the way to a call/or giving chase, etc.

I think it gives a bad example to other cyclists as the highway code is very clear that cyclists must not use the pavement. For motorists it probably makes them think, if the police use it, they all should.

thomas said:
In all seriousness though, I do, generally, disagree with police cycling on the pavement.

Thomas people know that the rules that apply to them do not necessarily apply to the police because of the function they perform. Your objections are targetting an accountable and therefore easy target. Go find yourself some drug dealers to harrass and see if they present the same reasoned response that Vikeonabike does.

thomas

the tank engine
Crackle said:
Thomas people know that the rules that apply to them do not necessarily apply to the police because of the function they perform. Your objections are targetting an accountable and therefore easy target. Go find yourself some drug dealers to harrass and see if they present the same reasoned response that Vikeonabike does.

Read what I said fully:

I would only make an exception, when going to an emergency call. Just because a general police car can't overtake on the wrong side of traffic island, etc, when it's not on the way to a call/or giving chase, etc.

I don't think police should just be able to abuse the law when cycling around generally. If they were after some drug dealers then by all means save 5 minutes by using the pavement, as long as it is safe.

I'd hardly say I'm harassing Vike...I even made a damn joke about this thread, so i'm really not taking it that seriously.

Yeah, but it's a slippery slope...this month police officers are
illegally cycling on the pavement...next month they're dealing illegal drugs to our kids.

WHEN WILL IT END??

It's just a thread, everyone is entitled to their opinion...even if the subject matter isn't life or death.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
They may not actually be following up an emergency ... it could be just being in the area that a crime may be committed. If they never leave the roads then they are really only policing the traffic. Honestly those on bikes around here seem to be talking to the youngsters more - getting to know them, rather than reacting to bad behaviour only..

thomas

the tank engine
Crackle said:
Funny, I thought I'd expressed an opinion: I did read what you said, read what I said.

Your opinion seemed to be that it's a waste of time debating this because there are bigger problems in the world.

thomas said:
Your opinion seemed to be that it's a waste of time debating this because there are bigger problems in the world.

No, the question was asked, Vike gave a pretty good explanation which I don't think needed elaboration.

That's my opinion, I've expressed it, you're welcome to accept, reject or do other with it, that's exactly what you're doing right?

You're right though, I do think there are more important things to worry about and put your energy into.

Cubist

Still wavin'
In general terms police officers or PCSOs are not allowed to ride on the pavement. They are to be held accountable as anybody else. Vike's answer was that under certain circumstances he would be able to justify riding on the pavement after properly risk assessing it. In other words it would be justified to do so, as long as it was in the proper execution of his duty.

If you feel that strongly about it, then challenge the next one you see doing it. If they are able to give you a reasonable explanation, then accept it. If they can't, and you believe that the world will be a better place if you make a complaint, then you are perfectly entitled to do so. Posting a video on Youtube however is about as spineless as it gets. There's no opportunity to hear a reasoned explanation, you'll distort the truth by making assumptions and inviting criticism from those with opinions, but no knowledge of the facts.

On our patch there are many footways, ginnels, paths and off road cycleways. A cop or a PCSO on a bike may well have to use some of them in places simply to get around. They can visit places on their patch by the occasional shortcut. If they do, they have been told that if they inconvenience anyone or injure somebody in a situation where they could have been off and wheeling the bike, there is nothing that will get them out of the mire.

That said, in my opinion as a team leader who reguarly deploys cops and PCSOs on bikes, there can be no excuses or justification for sloppy riding, or setting a bad example. All of the riders have been told that, and I would have personally challenged the ones in the examples above who RLJ'd or pavement hopped.

Here's a little hypothetical quetion though. If your elderly mother had her purse stolen in the pedestrianised precinct, CCTV picked up a suspect and one of the team was despatched to catch the thief, would you be happy if they got within a few yards of the suspect, and then dismounted to walk the precinct so as not to annoy the likes of Thomas?

Common sense and reason is all that is required to think it through.

thomas

the tank engine
Cubist said:
Here's a little hypothetical quetion though. If your elderly mother had her purse stolen in the pedestrianised precinct, CCTV picked up a suspect and one of the team was despatched to catch the thief, would you be happy if they got within a few yards of the suspect, and then dismounted to walk the precinct so as not to annoy the likes of Thomas?

Common sense and reason is all that is required to think it through.

A: My mother's not elderly.
B: If you're few yards away, surely you'd have to get off your bike to apprehend the suspect anyway? So really there would be no problem in your hypothetical question.
C: I've already said that in emergencies/when actually doing proper police work (not just going around aimlessly), when safe I deem it acceptable, in a similar way to a police car being able to take certain liberties when they've got their blues and twos on. Unlike some posts in this thread (INCLUDING, the first one), where it appears they are cycling on the pavement either to save time or some other unknown reason but giving a negative view of cyclists.

In Norwich city centre, if my "old" mum had her purse pinched during day time it probably wouldn't be safe to cycle down, even if faster. No point catching a purse thief if you ride your bike into someone.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
thomas said:
C: I've already said that in emergencies/when actually doing proper police work (not just going around aimlessly),

Surely part of the police work does include bimbling around very slowly looking being approachable and observant (nosey:biggrin:).

thomas

the tank engine
summerdays said:
Surely part of the police work does include bimbling around very slowly looking being approachable and observant (nosey:biggrin:).

If they're going around slowly then push the bike on the pavement.