Pavement cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
This is something that gets on my nerves. On my ride, just about every other cyclist I come across is a pavement cyclist. I had a go at one today on my way home, he must of been doing quite a bit of a pace along the pavement, which is used by school kids walking home. The road that this pavement is alongside is actually a very busy one, however is incredibly wide (12m), there is enough space for a lorry to pass a cyclist without even having to encroach the opposite lane. If the council really wanted to, they could have a 2m wide cycle lane on either side and it would not bother the motorists, in fact given that this is on a national cycle route it wouldn't be a bad idea.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i only use pavements when on my mtb or out doing test miles on something i am trying to prove is roadworthy before going on roads and then only when they are smooth enough for skinny racer wheels

I agree, I really cannot understand why people, who are seemingly experienced (they have the gear and the speed at least), think that the pavement is a better place to cycle than the road. I indulged in a spot of commuter racing with a guy on the footpath the other day in fact; I dropped him in moments because he just couldn't make progress with the foot, pushchair and immobility scooter traffic. The main drag into town here is dualed but with a bus lane to cycle up almost all the way so it's not as if there's no room to manoeuvre.

Davidc

Guru
At any reasonable speed it's not even a safe place to ride.

There's nothing you can directly do about it. It's a matter for police or PCSOs to handle. You can of course complain about it, you can also make suggestions to the council's cycling officer about cycle lanes and other infrastructure.

NigC

This does annoy me at times - especially when I'm the one walking on the pavement. I see a few cyclists taking the path when there is a perfectly good road that I use on the days I'm not walking. Admittedly, the road can be busy and so I have a cetain amount of sympathy, but cyclists need to be aware they are not meant to be on the path, so should at the very least be courteous to pedestrains.

I also admit to using the path occassionally. But only when approaching a junction where waiting traffic is blocking a cyclists expected line. But when I do, I take it very slow and make sure I don't interfere with any pedestrians should I encounter them.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Can't say I'm really fussed. I'd really rather people didn't do it. I'm always amused that on the really 'problematic' paved areas it is socially acceptable to drive/park on these areas but not cycle on them.

Mark_Robson

marinyork said:
Can't say I'm really fussed. I'd really rather people didn't do it. I'm always amused that on the really 'problematic' paved areas it is socially acceptable to drive/park on these areas but not cycle on them.
+1
As long as they respect pedestrians and cycle at a sensible speed. Saying that, if there's a cycle lane at the side of the road then people should make the effort to use it.

What I don't get is why are you allowed to cycle on the pavement in Japan...(and I did it) but it doesn't work here?

I suppose the lack of respect thing must be behind it.

Davidc

Guru
Because the Japanese are more considerate to one another - it's a cultural thing.

brokenbetty

Über Member
hackbike 666 said:
What I don't get is why are you allowed to cycle on the pavement in Japan...(and I did it) but it doesn't work here?

I don't think it's allowed because it works - I think it works because it's allowed.

Because it's allowed, pedestrians expect it. They don't feel encroached upon, and if a pavement cyclist takes them by surprise they may accept some blame for not paying attention.

In the UK it isn't allowed, so pedestrians react to pavement cycling as an aggressive co-option of their space. If a pavement cyclist takes them by surprise they wholly blame the cyclist for being where they shouldn't.

chap

Veteran
Matthames said:
This is something that gets on my nerves. On my ride, just about every other cyclist I come across is a pavement cyclist. I had a go at one today on my way home, he must of been doing quite a bit of a pace along the pavement, which is used by school kids walking home. The road that this pavement is alongside is actually a very busy one, however is incredibly wide (12m), there is enough space for a lorry to pass a cyclist without even having to encroach the opposite lane. If the council really wanted to, they could have a 2m wide cycle lane on either side and it would not bother the motorists, in fact given that this is on a national cycle route it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Deja vu? To reiterate, pavement cyclists are often the result of poor town design. The council could play a good part in alleviating this situation by doing as you recommend, if this improves perception of safety and convenience, then cyclists will use it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Matthames said:
I'm unfamiliar with the cycling culture in the UK (having never been there!), but in Australia, there is an attitude from a large percentage of motorists that the road belongs to motor vehicles and cyclists simply don't belong there. That attitude sucks, I know, but I think some beginning cyclists feel a bit intimidated by that attitude and stay off the road, using mainly shared cyclist/pedestrian paths, and sometimes even footpaths.

That doesn't really help them over here, as a cyclist at least 12 years of age may only legally cycle on the footpath if supervising another cyclist younger than 12.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
victor said:
That doesn't really help them over here, as a cyclist at least 12 years of age may only legally cycle on the footpath if supervising another cyclist younger than 12.

That's quite an interesting law.

andyg9053

As a traffic cop for 18 years i have seen too many dead cyclists killed by cars and lorries on the road. None were on the pavement and no pedestrians killed by cyclists on the pavement.

If you are not inconveniencing the pedestrians, ie riding on the pavement in a busy high st and are riding at a sensible speed then what is the harm. Apart from it being illegal in this nanny state.

Top Bottom