Pavement cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tordis

I see lots of pavement cyclists on my way to work, some of them looking completely amateur (a mum and 2 kids riding at a slow pace), others more experienced (gear, speed etc.), and sometimes I honestly feel like stopping and talking to them. There are some countries where cycling on pavements is perfectly legal. There are also those where cycling on the road is pretty much suicide (Poland is a great example). It could be that they're not aware they can - and should - be on the roads.
On the other hand, it could be sheer I-don't-give-a-monkey's attitude.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
From time to time i do cycle on a path (Kinda cycle, more sit on it and walk) There is a particularly nasty junction where i have to turn left into a left lane and then straight into the right hand lane, the way the lights here work is they all go red to let people cross, so i, rightly or wrongly, hop on the kurb, round the lights and hop back onto tyhe road to go to the right lane then wait for light.

The reason? 5 times in 3 months i have come off the bike because someone has cut me up (Trying to go round me as i turn left then going into the left lane, i would mind if they went in the right).

Last time, at 7AM some woman started shouting at me (For walking while sitting which i dont see as dangerous in any way at all, i have full control at all times) for being on the path. Ironicly at the same time a cyclist next to me taps into the front of a car doing the exact thing im trying to avoid. Its not even a Small path!

Not making a point, just showing their are some good reasons to pop on the path, as long as you do it safely. Some ped's dont realise how dangerous it can be as a bike on a road.

In short, When drivers stop acting like T***s I will stop going on the path,

Trevrev

Veteran
andyg9053 said:
As a traffic cop for 18 years i have seen too many dead cyclists killed by cars and lorries on the road. None were on the pavement and no pedestrians killed by cyclists on the pavement.

If you are not inconveniencing the pedestrians, ie riding on the pavement in a busy high st and are riding at a sensible speed then what is the harm. Apart from it being illegal in this nanny state.

Well said !!! From a Copper too.....Makes it even better !!:rofl:
I'm sure you'll still get slated for your comment though!!!.PMSL !!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I confess - I used one yesterday... I cycled along the road on the way to pick my son up ... and realised what I was cycling through ... trying to dodge the offensive lumps on the road, whilst dealing with cars who maybe didn't realise why I wasn't cycling in a straight line... - so after picking him up I told him to cycle on the pavement ... we just cycled slowly behind the people but avoided putting our feet down. Came home and then washed the bikesxx(.

We both went back on the road one we were past the offensive bit!!!

Mark_Robson

summerdays said:
I confess - I used one yesterday... I cycled along the road on the way to pick my son up ... and realised what I was cycling through ... trying to dodge the offensive lumps on the road, whilst dealing with cars who maybe didn't realise why I wasn't cycling in a straight line... - so after picking him up I told him to cycle on the pavement ... we just cycled slowly behind the people but avoided putting our feet down. Came home and then washed the bikesxx(.

We both went back on the road one we were past the offensive bit!!!
Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
victor said:
over here, as a cyclist at least 12 years of age may only legally cycle on the footpath if supervising another cyclist younger than 12.

I agree with marinyork ... that is an interesting law ... and at least its clearer than our current laws and understands there are occasions why an adult might want to cycle on the path. I've had that battle with myself in the past - did I cycle very slowly on the road say 6 mph or cycle on the path. And if there was only pavement on one side of road then you can't cycle beside them on the road. Luckily as my youngest is 9 we are past that stage - as he cycles on the road on side streets.

Captain

I try to ride on the road at all times but given the situation as summerdays says I would be happy to hit the pavement, and I do this often.
The road leading from the city centre to a popular cycle store (Mud Dock) is so awful that if I ride it at speed my bike changes gear when hitting the bad surface, I hate to think what it could do to wheels with lower pressure tires on.

In Bristol city centre there are also some confusing signage like pavement slabs with bike symbols engraved into them but they are at odd places, there are also places where the "green man" also has a green bicycle to cross the road - but these are in places I am unsure if it is legal to cycle.

annoying stuff that needs to be sorted out in Bristol - A Cycling City

I predict a deliberate mudding of the waters on this.

In Birmingham, many wide pavements that have recently been re-signed now carry shared use signs. These appear and disappear at random, so it's often not clear whether or not pavement cycling is permitted or not. And in places like the city centre, many of the pedestrianised streets are shared use, with no signage to indicate this at all.

And in the main, people mix quite happily and no-one has a problem.

What I think does introduce a level of "you shouldn't be here" is when lines are painted on pavements, and I thing we're better off without these facilities. Pedestrians often wander into cycle lanes and cyclist have to move out of them because of street furniture etc, and then people get aggrieved at someone being where they shouldn't.

Wide shared use pavements are a pleasure to use, although hardly conducive to speed, but I agree, the painting of lines makes each side more territorial. Which I think is the problem all around, drivers see roads as their territory and pedestrians see pavements as theirs. I feel cyclists are squeezed out and I can hardly blame the less experienced for opting for the space they feel more comfortable in, it's right that pavement cyclists are a product of poor design.

Portsmouth seafront is a good example of this, a lovely wide promenade which is covered in poles and signs which is pedestrian only. The council have put in a dedicated cycle lane on the road which everyone moans about as it's taken space from drivers. It seems a no win situation for everyone.

Having spent a lot of time walking to and from work recently, I've acquired a new understanding of the interaction between cyclists and peds. So, if I ruled the world etc....

Pavements are for pedestrians.
Where there is no designated cycle path, cyclists should not cycle on the pavement.
Where there's a shared (line delineated) facility, people need to stick to their own side.

Having daily encounters with cyclists riding on pavements may have changed my tolerance level on the subject, but I have no problem with cyclists being prosecuted for cycling where they shouldn't.

Mark_Robson

beanzontoast said:
Pavements are for pedestrians.
Where there is no designated cycle path, cyclists should not cycle on the pavement.
Where there's a shared (line delineated) facility, people need to stick to their own side.
Are you one of these people who must have their tea stirred 36.5 times, their egg boiled for 3.76 minutes and their peas must be on the left hand side of their plate or their day is ruined? :bravo:

Jezston

Über Member
Don't like cycling on the pavement - too slow, too many obstacles - more worried about being knocked off by a drunk chav on the pavement than an angry driver on the road. Don't like dickheads of hurtle about at speed on pavements when there's perfectly good road right next to them - don't understand why they do it.

A stupid one however is Derby's pedestrianised city center - distinct if tiled 'roads' and 'pavements' despite it being pedestrians only - except vehicles are allowed to enter to make deliveries, but NO cycling is allowed AT ALL. Stupid.

Is this a good time to mention my classic pavement cyclist video...:bravo:

I've mellowed over the years towards pavement cyclists. I don't do it, I can understand why some choose to, but there are some idiots that should know better.

rh100

tordis said:
I see lots of pavement cyclists on my way to work, some of them looking completely amateur (a mum and 2 kids riding at a slow pace), others more experienced (gear, speed etc.), and sometimes I honestly feel like stopping and talking to them. There are some countries where cycling on pavements is perfectly legal. There are also those where cycling on the road is pretty much suicide (Poland is a great example). It could be that they're not aware they can - and should - be on the roads.
On the other hand, it could be sheer I-don't-give-a-monkey's attitude.

On a recent trip to Krakow, I noticed cycling was quite popular, and I didn't see anyone having issues with them being on the pavement (some of the roads were a bit mental :bravo: ). They also seemed to have a more relaxed attitude towards health and safety, a refreshing change to the UK.

Top Bottom