Pavement cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Mark_Robson said:
Personally I'm all for judging each case on it's own merits. Most people I see cycling on the pavements do it because they aren't confident cycling in traffic or some people cycle with their kids on the pavement.
And some people cycle on the pavements in a totally irresponsible and potentially dangerous way but in my experience they are the exception.

The problem is all pavement cycling is seen the same by the great British public.

My Aunt isnt confident driving on motorways.She just avoids driving on them and takes other, more quieter roads. If a cyclist is unconfident they are letting themselves and others down if they resort to pavements.

Crankarm

Guru
A nicely furled umbrella becomes very handy in these instances :thumbsup:.

mangaman

downfader said:
The problem is all pavement cycling is seen the same by the great British public.

My Aunt isnt confident driving on motorways.She just avoids driving on them and takes other, more quieter roads. If a cyclist is unconfident they are letting themselves and others down if they resort to pavements.

It is dangerous as well downfader. Not in a statistically easily demonstible way - with KSI stats - but I have regular brushes with peanuts on bikes. I'm probably a bit more nimble than your Aunt :thumbsup: although I don't know her.

I have had to take some pretty nifty evasive action to avoid being crashed into by pavement cyclists. It happens I reckon twice a week at a conservative estimate on this particular footpath (it is a handy cut-through).

Jugular

Bollocks.
The majority of cyclists are not confident enough to cycle on the road. I for one would not deny them the safety of the pavement given that they are aware of pedestrians and when space gets tight they should dismount. Common sense is all that is needed, not swearing or fannying about. You put yourself, other pedestrians and the cyclist in danger that way. It's irrelevant whether you're a pedestrian, driver or cyclist common sense trumps safety first every time. Otherwise, we'll all be ferried from door to door in armored vehicles before long.

Jugular said:
Bollocks.
The majority of cyclists are not confident enough to cycle on the road. I for one would not deny them the safety of the pavement given that they are aware of pedestrians and when space gets tight they should dismount. Common sense is all that is needed, not swearing or fannying about. You put yourself, other pedestrians and the cyclist in danger that way. It's irrelevant whether you're a pedestrian, driver or cyclist common sense trumps safety first every time. Otherwise, we'll all be ferried from door to door in armored vehicles before long.

The majority of cyclists do ride on the road.

mangaman

Jugular said:
Bollocks.

Hello - nice post.

I always think a post with Bollocks as the opening word is going to be a pleasure to read :thumbsup:

The majority of cyclists are confident enough to cycle on the road.

Leisure cycling can happen on shared-use paths/bridleways - otherwise cycle on the road. End of story.

If you aren't confident enough to cycle on the road, maybe you shouldn't be cycling?

Matthames

Über Member
I reckon I could rack up quite a big tally with the number of pavement cyclists I have seen. Most of them have mostly been on the main road between Bexhill and Hastings, I think they do it more due to a lack of confidence and a perception that it is a really busy and dangerous road. If I am honest it is not really as busy as most people make it out to be as the traffic tends to move along at 20mph quite nicely at rush hour and the school run.

If the pavements are so safe how do pedestrians get killed?

battered

Guru
Dead right. Most people think I should ride everywhere on the pavement until they see me bowling througfh town an 25 mph. "F* me, I'm not surprised you don't use the pavement at *that* speed, I wouldn't want to be coming out of a pub if you were going past like that". Exactly. Now cut me some slack, I could be doing anywhere between 10 and 30 mph, but when I have right of way I *will* be in the road.

The difference is that most cyclists don't feel quite as comfortable as I do when they are having to kick a white van to inform him of a violation of right of way.

dondare said:
As a society perhaps we should involve ourselves more. Illegal behaviour is antisocial which does give us a right to condemn it.

Though I find a "come on now mate, don't take the piss eh?" approach is more effective than an "Oi! I say! Yes, you there! Stop your nefarious undertakings this instant!"

battered

Guru
mangaman said:
If you aren't confident enough to cycle on the road, maybe you shouldn't be cycling?

Give me the keys to a white van and a cavalier disregard for other people's safety and I'll make your wish come true.

Within a year I guarantee 80% of Leeds cyclists will be off the road or dead. Simples.

I find a useful approach is to train a small child to very loudly say "Mum, look at that big boy riding on the pavement. Doesn't he know that pavements are for people? I ride on the road, and I'm only 8!"

Of course, this only works if you have a convenient, slightly cocky and relatively cute 8 year old... and will get him beaten up if he does it when he's much older. But that's OK, I have a spare 3 year old waiting to take the job on :smile:

mangaman

battered said:
Give me the keys to a white van and a cavalier disregard for other people's safety and I'll make your wish come true.

Within a year I guarantee 80% of Leeds cyclists will be off the road or dead. Simples.

I disagree - and the figures bear it out.

Are you suggesting 80% of people who cycle in Leeds will be dead or off the road within 1 year?

I'm not sure quite how to respond to such a mad post :smile:

Cycling has been shown to be very safe, and taking into account the health benefits, much better for you than not cycling.

I'll give you one link from the Government as one example

http://www.dft.gov.uk/cyclingengland/health-fitness/

Top Bottom