Pay Pal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or better still forward them to spoof@paypal.com
Seriously, why? It's nothing to do with paypal. Someone in (for example) Bulgaria sends out 10 million badly worded* emails pretending to come from paypal in the hope of gaining a few dozen paypal passwords. It's not paypal's fault, and I can't think how they could stop it.

Of course, they have an email address, so people can tell them, but I really can't imagine what they can do with any of them.

*badly worded: I've read they do this deliberately, at least for banking phishing, because it weeds out educated/erudite people who would eventually perceive it as a fraud so you don't waste their fraudsters time. They only want to deal with idiots.

Corollary to the above: I was once sent a text saying "have you been in an accident recently?" and replied "yes", because I was curious. A moment later my phone rang and a woman said "I am from <???> Claims company, and I am calling about your accident". I genuinely asked "Sorry, what's the name of your company?" and she hung up, presumably because someone who wants to know who they are dealing with won't fall for their scams.

classic33

Leg End Member
Seriously, why? It's nothing to do with paypal. Someone in (for example) Bulgaria sends out 10 million badly worded* emails pretending to come from paypal in the hope of gaining a few dozen paypal passwords. It's not paypal's fault, and I can't think how they could stop it.

Of course, they have an email address, so people can tell them, but I really can't imagine what they can do with any of them.

*badly worded: I've read they do this deliberately, at least for banking phishing, because it weeds out educated/erudite people who would eventually perceive it as a fraud so you don't waste their fraudsters time. They only want to deal with idiots.

Corollary to the above: I was once sent a text saying "have you been in an accident recently?" and replied "yes", because I was curious. A moment later my phone rang and a woman said "I am from <???> Claims company, and I am calling about your accident". I genuinely asked "Sorry, what's the name of your company?" and she hung up, presumably because someone who wants to know who they are dealing with won't fall for their scams.
And if someone is using your name to try and get something, you'd not be bothered either!

Spammers have cottoned on to sites like 192.com that will give your address details on Google search (without your house number) yet demand sign on to see the info on the site itself.
So now without too much effort you can get spam with most of your home address on it which adds plausibility.

LinkedIn and Facebook help them cross reference by having your details google searchable yet requiring a login for the site itself.

I have dual authentication on my paypal since it got hacked. The password was complex, but paypal somehow let the scumbags in. And I know I've never fallen for a phishing email.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
There is a flip side to this. Some years ago I received an email from 'PayPal' advising me I'd won a £250 Asos voucher. I almost binned it, but rather than click on the link I picked up the phone and called them. I had indeed won.
Asos!? I've always had you down as a Jacamo man!

Top Bottom