Pay your fare or get thrown off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

So the conductor gave you the opportunity to persuade him that he was wrong, and took it no further - it was within his discretion to do so. He would equally have been within his rights to have you thrown off. If the captain of a ship or aeroplane told you to get off, would you have done so?

No. The conductor asked me repeatedly to leave, I refused. The conductor said that the bus wasn't going anywhere until I left, I still refused. The conductor then fetched the bus driver, who sided with me for reasons unknown.

Regardless of what rights the conductor may have, they also have a responsibility to treat passengers fairly, otherwise they could chuck off anyone they didn't like the look of.

Why on earth you've decided to talk about ships and aeroplanes is beyond me.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Swearing at the inspector is no longer an offence, or not in England at any rate where you can use the F word as many times as you like when addressing a Police officer.
No you cannot, although reports of a recent appeal fromMagistrates was reported in terms suggesting otherwise.

Using the F word three times instead of flaming or flipping (I ain't got no FFFF drugs...) was held not to be offensive behaviour unless somebody is shown to be harassed, alarmed or distressed. The coppers in that case did not give evidence that they were nor did the bystanders. No evidence was called to suggest any other parties were either. Case on its own facts and defendant acquitted.

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/media/judgments/2011/daniel-harvey-dpp-judgment-17112011

Anyone who thinks it gives general license to F*** and Blind, or call a copper a front bottom, is going to be rudely awakened.

snailracer

Über Member
No. The conductor asked me repeatedly to leave, I refused. The conductor said that the bus wasn't going anywhere until I left, I still refused. The conductor then fetched the bus driver, who sided with me for reasons unknown.

Regardless of what rights the conductor may have, they also have a responsibility to treat passengers fairly, otherwise they could chuck off anyone they didn't like the look of.

Why on earth you've decided to talk about ships and aeroplanes is beyond me.

Yes, and they may have to justify their decisions to their supervisors later. If the conductor gets into an argument with a passenger, there is typically no authoritative third party around to decide who is right (although you got lucky in your case) which is one reason why conductors, guards and ticket inspectors actually do have broad discretionary powers to chuck off anyone.

This is a not-uncommon situation with cyclists – most train operators have clauses that state cyclists can bring their bikes on the train, but there is almost always a disclaimer that this is at the discretion of the guard. IOW, the guard has the final say, even though, according to company policy, bikes are allowed.

…Why on earth you've decided to talk about ships and aeroplanes is beyond me.
Because it seems the authority of the crew is more widely recognised on ships and planes.

U

User482

Yes, and they may have to justify their decisions to their supervisors later. If the conductor gets into an argument with a passenger, there is typically no authoritative third party around to decide who is right (although you got lucky in your case) which is one reason why conductors, guards and ticket inspectors actually do have broad discretionary powers to chuck off anyone.

This is a not-uncommon situation with cyclists – most train operators have clauses that state cyclists can bring their bikes on the train, but there is almost always a disclaimer that this is at the discretion of the guard. IOW, the guard has the final say, even though, according to company policy, bikes are allowed.

Because it seems the authority of the crew is more widely recognised on ships and planes.
Flying and mid-ocean swimming aren't skills I possess.

Top Bottom