Pay your fare or get thrown off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm amazed that people are getting so worked up about this petty crime. As I pointed out on STW, it is highly likely that the people complaining loudest are regular law-breakers themselves.
which is the petty crime you are referring to, the assault or the fare dodging? :thumbsup:

No problems with what the big guy did. He used reasonable force. Wish more people would take his stance tbh.

:thumbsup: Couldnt agree more :thumbsup:

Quote from the dad: "He paid for a ticket but was sold the wrong one" hahahah:laugh: Yeah nice try....

I buy my tickets and am bored of fare dogers getting away with it and driving prices up for the rest of us, nice one big man indeed ^_^

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
If you watch carefully you can see the conductor carry the kids bag out, so any excuse the kid was trying to get back on the train for his bag is bullsh*t. He was simply a foul mouth little cockwomble who got what he deserved. I too am sick and tired of kids thinking they can get away with anything because they intimidate and threaten others. Here in Birmingham it's quite a problem late at night in certain areas (thankfully not my neighbourhood) with feral kids out on the street until all hours. Their 'parents' just don't give a toss. It makes me sooooo mad.

Zoiders

You assume the nerk in question is a "feral kid"?

From all the interviews he has given the image being projected seems to be more one of a spoiled brat who expects people to kiss his arse 24/7.

He didn't get that from being raised on a council estate.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
Just when the man spoke in scotish accent i thought WOW!! This is brilliant hurray for the man if only londoners would do the same. Even the conductor!! Though, bus drivers in london either let them go or switch off the whole bus till the man leaves. And if he does he gets shouted at or worst everyone jumps on him to leave. Worst bit i have seen a poor bus driver got spated on him the passenger on camera and he didnt do anything. Now thats real guts not to leave the bus and chase him down the road. Or chase him with the bus. lol

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I'm dead against this vid, not only does it show some moron taking the law into his own hands but it shows a complete lack of sense from the conductor.
tell me what was wrong with walking away and having BTP waiting at the next stop to pick him up?
i've seen it done before why can't it be done again?
instead the conductor starts a slanging match with the little oik and some mong who for some reason is being hailed as a hero assaults him.
its a silly vid and the police should investigate fully.
pete

snailracer

Über Member
I'm dead against this vid, not only does it show some moron taking the law into his own hands ...
As another poster pointed out earlier, using reasonable force to remove a trespasser is entirely lawful.

I remember a bus I was on once, was stopped for 10 minutes - the driver refused to move because some scrote had got on and not paid. Eventually, some other passenger paid the scrote's fare - WTF?

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
As another poster pointed out earlier, using reasonable force to remove a trespasser is entirely lawful.

I remember a bus I was on once, was stopped for 10 minutes - the driver refused to move because some scrote had got on and not paid. Eventually, some other passenger paid the scrote's fare - WTF?

If you're the landowner yes its (kinda) legal, for one person to throw another around however is assault nuff said.

snailracer

Über Member
If you're the landowner yes its (kinda) legal, for one person to throw another around however is assault nuff said.
Well, I never knew the doormen at nightclubs and bars were landowners.

asterix

Comrade Member
I dislike judging events on the basis of phone footage. Although it has been made out that one person was a villain and the other a hero, it's possible that there really is more to be learned and it'll probably be aired further in the press.

Foul mouthed little c*ck womble yes and clearly breaking the law, however the 'big man' or whatever assaulted him. Besides grabbing him, you catch a glimpse of the man throwing the kid quite violently to the ground. Not even bouncers can necessarily get away with that and they have to be licenced just to lay a finger on someone without risking prosecution.

In regards to the behaviour of the conductor, his conduct seemed fairly reasonable, however I do think it's quite possible that a mistake was made with the young lads tickets and the conductor tried to resolve that before he asked him to leave, or possibly made him leave the train so that it could be sorted out.

Personally more often than not I've found railway staff to be complete jobsworths. I've had a couple of awkward encounters myself with them where common sense is thrown out of the window in the interests of 'revenue protection'. My experience has taught me that most of these train staff care little about the welfare of their passengers. I had one try and kick me off a train once half way through a four hour journey during the winter because even though I had my ticket, I had left my young persons railcard at home.

Sadly I had no money or cards on me (stupid I know) and made him aware of this and tried to be as polite as possible to him, but he insisted I get off the train. Eventually I managed to persuade him to let me continue on my journey, however he made me fill out a slip of paper where I agreed to pay the maximum fare possible (£50) as a penalty charge, when my original ticket was £5.

I'd hope no elderly people are treated like that for what is a honest simple mistake. I'll bet though plenty of old people have been left out in the cold because they made a mistake with advance fares or something. The train operators have designed a bloody confusing system and introduced really restrictive terms onto their cheapest tickets. What do they expect to happen?

The latest I have read is that he claims he was sold 2 singles for his outward journey rather than 1 each for the outward and return, and that subsequently when he attempted to resolve the matter with the conductor he was simply told 'Off'

Poppycock!

I have been in this exact situation wher my ticket was not correct for the journey, have being able to have a reasonable conversation with the conductor and not had any problems other than a slight delay at the end of my journey whilst we sort out the tickets.

The student in question here openly admits that "I don't condone the way I spoke to the conductor" and that "I had been drinking before I got on the train, but I wasn't drunk." and that [I had eaten very little and that may have had an] “adverse effect on my mood and my mannerisms”.

So drunk and hungry he loses his temper/gets in a mood as he failed to check his ticket before boarding and cannot be bothered trying to resolve the matter sensibly and refuses to get off the train. Get off! :thumbsup:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...kled-fare-dodger-was-pushed-to-the-limit.html
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/884716-...-assault-charge-after-son-is-thrown-off-train

snailracer

Über Member
I thought there was no law of trespass in Scotland ?
Under English law, anyone may use reasonable force in self-defence, to "arrest" someone, to "prevent crime", etc. trespass is just one of several situations where it is allowed. Whether the equivalent exists in Scottish law, I don't claim to know.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Really interesting incident, on two counts. First, a great example of how different a given incident can appear, depending on the amount of context. I had no sympathy at all for the guy until I read his side of the story, then things got a helluva lot more ambiguous. Second, the passion with which people take one side or the other - largely depending on their predisposition and personal experience - 'a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest'.

FWIW I also suspect the young 'victim' of being a bit economical with the actualite. If he'd been saying 'hang on, I have another single ticket somewhere in my pocket, I'll show it to you', that would have tended to back up his account - which entirely rests on his having been mistakenly given two singles rather than an outward and a return. But he wasn't. He was as far as I can see making no effort to 'prove his position', just brazening it out.

The whole thing clearly hits a nerve though. Like those old Charles Bronson movies Michael 'Hard Man' Winner used to make. People do love a vigilante...

Top Bottom