PayPal Account

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Just checked my online banking and PayPal have taken £1.00 for the privilege of using their system. Will definitely knob it off!
As said above, you haven't been charged, it's just an account check.
I have been using paypal for years, but I remember how I opened the account: there's no way the company opened it for you.
Probably you forgot the steps you took, maybe because you wanted to complete the transaction asp.
Imo, PayPal is very handy to have. You can link several cards/accounts to it.
At checkout you will be given the choice on which card/account to use.

richardfm

Veteran
Another good thing about PayPal, you can often get options to pay installments, interest free.

si_c

Guru
As said above, you haven't been charged, it's just an account check.
I have been using paypal for years, but I remember how I opened the account: there's no way the company opened it for you.
Probably you forgot the steps you took, maybe because you wanted to complete the transaction asp.
Imo, PayPal is very handy to have. You can link several cards/accounts to it.
At checkout you will be given the choice on which card/account to use.

Yep, it's authorised so it shows on your account and that acts as verification of who you are. They don't actually collect it though.

This is the same as what used to happen years ago when you went to a mobile phone shop and they would verify your ID using a card and a single uncollected transaction. Carphone Warehouse sticks in my mind in particular for doing this.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I buy some very good 'homage' watches from a company in Hong Kong. There's no way I'd give my credit card details to a Chinese company. Thankfully they take PayPal.
One reason I never buy on AliExpress is most sellers don't take PP.

mikeIow

Guru
Yes this is standard practice, sometimes it's a pound, other times it's 2 debits of 13p and 9p etc. PayPal do not charge the customer for using the service (apart from through eBay). Any charge will be to the seller using the service. I guess the seller could charge you for using PayPal and add that to the bill but that should be clearly set out at checkout. Whatever the case, it might have asked you to create a password but I highly doubt it created an account without your consent

Technically, I don’t think they are allowed to charge more for that payment mechanism….

Will using ‘Friends & Family’ remove buyers protection in the event of a PayPal dispute ?
Indeed, which is why you would only use it to pay friends of family 🤪
Or people you really trust 👀👍

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nothing sinister about PayPal, just a handy online payment mechanism 🤷‍♂️
I wouldn't go that far! It funded Musk and Thiel, two of the most sinister political activists on the planet, amongst others.

In practice, it's relatively easy to use and fairly liberal in opening accounts, but fairly high cost and higher risk of arbitrary suspensions and freezes for sellers.

Still sucks if it automatically opens an account for a simple card payment, though.

Top Bottom