Paypal Query -- Help Requested

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Hi,

I am having to review a large quantity of bank statements belonging to an individual. On the statements, there are lots of payments out described as

DD Direct Debit to Paypal Payment
ref: 12 characters long (This is same every time and is 1 number, 3 letters, 4 numbers, 2 letters, 2 numbers and 1 letter)

There are also a number of payments in described as
Giro Received From Paypal
Ref: Ppwdl 1 number, 3 letters, 4 numbers(as above) and 1 number and 4 letters

I suspect these relate to trading on ebay ie purchases and sales respectively.

1. Does anyone recognise this sort of entry?
2. Do people operate an account with Paypal similar to a bank account? and if so do you get statements from Paypal or access to an online statement of account?

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Paypal is similar to a bank account so you may want to see that as it can either withdraw straight from your bank account, or from funds within paypal. You can review all your paypal statements online.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Paypal is similar to a bank account so you may want to see that as it can either withdraw straight from your bank account, or from funds within paypal. You can review all your paypal statements online.

Thanks for that prompt reply

Buck

Guru
Many businesses use PayPal as their secure payment method so this may be a regular payment for a subscription?
for example, I use Zwift and that is paid monthly through PayPal

If the payments are of different amounts then yes, I’d suggest eBay as a pei any source. Do you know their eBay account name?

the PPWDL is a withdrawal of funds from PayPal

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Many businesses use PayPal as their secure payment method so this may be a regular payment for a subscription?
for example, I use Zwift and that is paid monthly through PayPal

If the payments are of different amounts then yes, I’d suggest eBay as a pei any source. Do you know their eBay account name?

the PPWDL is a withdrawal of funds from PayPal
Thanks once again. These answers are very helpful

I don't know their eBay account name, although I do know they have one and where they are based. Is their anyway to link the reference number from paypal to their ebay name?

The amounts paid out vary and on some days their are multiple DD payments to eBay. The receipts from Paypal are far less frequent and amounts vary

Buck

Guru
I don’t believe there is.
if you had PoA or similar then you could formally enquire via PayPal but I think GDPR will kick in otherwise.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The only way to find out exactly what these payments are for and to whom is to sign in to their PayPal account online which it sounds like you might not be able to do. Direct Debit could also be the newish scheme whereby you can pay for items by instalments.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you haven't details, then as above you may need POA to obtain them - may take time. We had all this with FIL when he passed. Was a mare as stuff wasn't in joint accounts. We managed to get DD's and SO's stopped via the bank though.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for your help.

This is not a situation where PoA is relevant. The person whose bank statements I am analysing will not want to co-operate at all with me. Hence my trying to look at other ways to get access to information

T4tomo

Guru
Thanks once again. These answers are very helpful

I don't know their eBay account name, although I do know they have one and where they are based. Is their anyway to link the reference number from paypal to their ebay name?

The amounts paid out vary and on some days their are multiple DD payments to eBay. The receipts from Paypal are far less frequent and amounts vary
Sounds like ebay (or other) purchases made via paypal, using bank account as source of funds (rather than any balance within paypal account - but there may well be purchases direct from their balance that you can't see as no access to their paypal account). Then every now and again they withdraw surplus funds from their paypal account. This incurs a charge, so often people leave funds in their account and use them for purchases.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
DDs to Paypal would be for payments where the Paypal balance was insufficient to cover. The amount will be the difference & the resulting PP balance will be £0..
The account holder can request a PDF statement from Paypal for a given period (obv not relevant here).

Top Bottom