Payroll - wage slip question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Halfords switched to an app for rota's and wage slips some time ago, as I have now left the company I've been locked out of the app, so I can't access my last wage slip to make sure they paid me correctly.
Do I have the right to a paper copy?
Also, they pay over time in arrears, so all the over time I did from the 15th to the end of the month when I left, would have been paid the following month - this month - will I still be paid that?
And, last one, I took five days holiday in the first month of the year - april - will I have to pay back the holiday pay?
I did ask these questions before I left, but my manager decided to be a total prick about it and wasn't very helpful at all.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is:

1. Yes, you are entitled to see a copy of your wage slip
2. Yes, you are still entitled to be paid outstanding overtime that you have worked
3. If you took more holiday than the pro-rata entitlement for the time you worked after the start of the holiday year, then they will deduct the difference from your final wage slip. If you took less than your entitlement then they should pay you the difference.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is:

1. Yes, you are entitled to see a copy of your wage slip
2. Yes, you are still entitled to be paid outstanding overtime that you have worked
3. If you took more holiday than the pro-rata entitlement for the time you worked after the start of the holiday year, then they will deduct the difference from your final wage slip. If you took less than your entitlement then they should pay you the difference.

That's what I thought, I'm just struggling to get the payroll dept number to ring them up.
It was also suggested that they'd just "call it quits" - in terms of what I owe them v what they order me, but surely they have to send me a wage slip to show the details?
I just need to know if there'll be money in the bank at the end of the month or not as my new pay date isn't till the 5th, annoyingly.

MichaelO

Veteran
Do people still get paper P45s to hand over? They must be electronic by now.
They could only be issued on paper (and specific paper at that) until relatively recently. They can be issued electronically now, but many companies/payroll providers haven't switched over.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I received my p45 in the post, and have given the relevant part to my new employer.
I've managed to get the payroll number, although apparently they're not supposed to give it out. ffs.
The lady I spoke to was surprised I can't access the app, which just goes to show how extremely petty the manager has been as he will have "terminated" me literally the minute I walked out the shop. She's going to send me the wage slip and will make a note to send this months too, although it apparently hasn't been calculated yet.
It'd just make it easier to budget for the end of the month if I knew in advance how much to expect to be paid, currently I'm assuming zero and anything else will be a bonus.

I received my p45 in the post, and have given the relevant part to my new employer.
I've managed to get the payroll number, although apparently they're not supposed to give it out. ffs.
The lady I spoke to was surprised I can't access the app, which just goes to show how extremely petty the manager has been as he will have "terminated" me literally the minute I walked out the shop. She's going to send me the wage slip and will make a note to send this months too, although it apparently hasn't been calculated yet.
It'd just make it easier to budget for the end of the month if I knew in advance how much to expect to be paid, currently I'm assuming zero and anything else will be a bonus.
I'm not sure how they can send a P45, then make an additional payment. Your P45 details all your income, and tax payments for that period of employment, if they have issued that I cannot see how they can then make another payment (or deduction).

MichaelO

Veteran
I'm not sure how they can send a P45, then make an additional payment. Your P45 details all your income, and tax payments for that period of employment, if they have issued that I cannot see how they can then make another payment (or deduction).
Sounds like employment has already ended, and the remaining overtime will be paid as a payment after leaving. That'll be taxed as 0T income (week 1/month 1 basis).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The removal of corporate IT access as soon as you walk out of the door is sensible - it protects both you and the company. The proposal to "call it quits" is daft, and if they don't pay what you owe I'd talk to the union. You are a union member?!

If you struggle to budget at month end, talk to your new boss. They may be willing to pay some of your salary in advance this month. For the sake of a few tens of pounds it's in their interests not to have a grumpy employee worrying about paying off an unplanned overdraft, legal loan shark or worse.

MichaelO

Veteran
But how does that information get communicated to the new employer?
It doesn't. It's taxed as 0T, and any under/over payment of tax is sorted out at the end of the tax year. 0T ensures that (for most people) the tax deducted is the right amount in any case.

It doesn't. It's taxed as 0T, and any under/over payment of tax is sorted out at the end of the tax year. 0T ensures that (for most people) the tax deducted is the right amount in any case.

So they'll submit the info to HMRC, for a payment to a terminated employee?

Top Bottom