Payroll - wage slip question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
The removal of corporate IT access as soon as you walk out of the door is sensible - it protects both you and the company. The proposal to "call it quits" is daft, and if they don't pay what you owe I'd talk to the union. You are a union member?!

If you struggle to budget at month end, talk to your new boss. They may be willing to pay some of your salary in advance this month. For the sake of a few tens of pounds it's in their interests not to have a grumpy employee worrying about paying off an unplanned overdraft, legal loan shark or worse.
Not a union member, no.
I won't run out of money, so it's not a big deal, I've already moved all my major direct debits to later in the month. Just a case of knowing what I can spend that weekend, it's a bank holiday so considering whether we can go anywhere or not.
Guess I'll just have to wait and see what comes through the door or lands in the bank at the end of the month.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not at all uncommon. Most places pay you the overtime (O/T) the month after you've worked it.
Let's suppose you get paid on the 28th (as I did at my last place) The payroll run is done on, say, the 18th.
How could they know what O/T I'll work from the 18th onwards? But they do know what O/T I did last month.

toffee

Guru
I have no idea how they run payroll these days.

I'd just expect to get the P45 only after the final payment was made.
That is correct.But Payroll only act on the information given to them, if they are told the wrong information they can only put it right after the event.

Employee will get a paper P45 but it will go to HMRC electronically.

Payroll has to be submitted to RTI on or before payroll date so any alterations not picked up before the submission have to go into the next month.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Strange question I know, but was it a P60 received in the post and not a P45?
I had my p60 handed to me during my last week, it was definitely my p45 that came in the post. I was surprised how quickly it arrived.
I've been sent a copy of my last wage slip, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly how much overtime I did so I still don't know if it's correct or what I'm owed.
Back to waiting for Friday to see what lands in the bank I guess.
Thanks for the information though.

Do people still get paper P45s to hand over? They must be electronic by now.

We have electronic, and paper, but even when paperwork is entirely on line there should be an option to print off

Which comes to another issue

If you leave a company and no longer have access to that software then they will no longer have access to a P45

For that reason alone there must be a paper copy available.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I received my p45 in the post, and have given the relevant part to my new employer.
I've managed to get the payroll number, although apparently they're not supposed to give it out. ffs.
The lady I spoke to was surprised I can't access the app, which just goes to show how extremely petty the manager has been as he will have "terminated" me literally the minute I walked out the shop. She's going to send me the wage slip and will make a note to send this months too, although it apparently hasn't been calculated yet.
It'd just make it easier to budget for the end of the month if I knew in advance how much to expect to be paid, currently I'm assuming zero and anything else will be a bonus.
That's not petty, that's a good manager. We have lots of issues with NOT being told that people have left, which results in overpayments and all sorts of hassle for both us and the former employee as we have to recover the money.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had my p60 handed to me during my last week, it was definitely my p45 that came in the post. I was surprised how quickly it arrived.
I've been sent a copy of my last wage slip, but unfortunately I can't remember exactly how much overtime I did so I still don't know if it's correct or what I'm owed.
Back to waiting for Friday to see what lands in the bank I guess.
Thanks for the information though.

Give your old payroll a call to see what's happening.

toffee

Guru
We have electronic, and paper, but even when paperwork is entirely on line there should be an option to print off

Which comes to another issue

If you leave a company and no longer have access to that software then they will no longer have access to a P45

For that reason alone there must be a paper copy available.

Systems like Sage Payroll are not hosted on the employers site buts on Sages.

P45s are not held on line but can be emailed to the ex employee. You have 6 months to down load any payslips you want from the site. Obviously you can get a paper copy from the employer at anytime.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
How strange.
I got 3 jobs with e-payslips, you're allowed access to your e-documents, for printing and downloading, for up to 6 months after your living day.
I have not left yet, so maybe the info on the payroll sites is a lie?

toffee

Guru
How strange.
I got 3 jobs with e-payslips, you're allowed access to your e-documents, for printing and downloading, for up to 6 months after your living day.
I have not left yet, so maybe the info on the payroll sites is a lie?
Sorry it's is 6 months from leaving

Top Bottom