PBK cable cutters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

These:

T0030.jpg

I generally don't like to cheap out on tools but the Park ones are four times the price.

Has anyone used them?

Cheers,
Matthew

Garz

Squat Member
PBK stuff is generally pretty good, I suppose park are good but just like with my spoke key purchase I chose an alternative as like you couldn't justify the hefty markup. Where their tools are competitively priced (as in not much dearer) I choose them though.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I've ordered a pair as I figured they were worth a chance, will let you know what they are like when I get them. they are only this price for 7 days though!

GrahamG

Guru
I've got the park ones - they are no better than the wiggle brand (can't remember the name!) ones although I obviously expect them to last a good bit longer. Probably not worth 4x the cost!

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Garz said:
PBK stuff is generally pretty good, I suppose park are good but just like with my spoke key purchase I chose an alternative as like you couldn't justify the hefty markup. Where their tools are competitively priced (as in not much dearer) I choose them though.

Same here. It's hard to know where you can economise sometimes though.

I got the Ice Toolz ones from dotbike.com . They're also cheaper than Park, and are a very good tool.

Really? Hmmm. I was looking at those but was put off by some very negative reviews that popped up on google - they said the cutters blunted quickly. Mind you, they look very similar to the PBK ones.

Matthew

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
They've been despatched so I'll hope to get them in time to let you know, but remember they are only £7.82 ! I bought them as I know I need some tools but really don't have much spare cash - buying a new £20 saddle was a major purchase _ so if I can take a chance I'm sure you guys can :evil:

I've gone and bought a pair now MM- they will have all gone before you get around to it!

davidg

is the view that these are adequate for the amateur at home just servicing his own bike from time to time, because there are a great price and i should have some!?

edit: bought them! couldnt resist...will let you know

Breaking news....Breaking news...

They work!

Got mine this morning - did a neat cut on the cable with minimal force and the top cutters did a similar job on the cabling, again with very little effort and minimal squashing of the metal tubing.

Obviously I can't speak for how much wear they will take but I'd say that if you are just attending to your own bike, then these will last a good few years as they look to be unbreakable and it's just a matter of how long they retain their sharpness.

BTW kudos to Probikekit - ordered yesterday and they were here 9.00 today!

Top Bottom