PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
I kind of do this for a living so it looks straightforward to me. Which step isn't working?

Venod

Eh up
I kind of do this for a living so it looks straightforward to me. Which step isn't working?

The bios update file downloads and installs in a new folders on a separate computer but when the .exe runs it does not open the window to select "install bios to USB drive" infact nothing happens, I have tried on two different computers, it seems a problem a lot of people have.

Venod

Eh up
The problem I see is that if the original PC won't load its own BIOS, how's it ever going to boot from the stick?

I don't know ! but these are the instruction's to restore the BIOS from a USB stick,

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/ish_1997719-1528356-16

The flashing light codes suggest a memory problem, but two different memory sticks have been tried, I think there is probably a motherboard problem, but it would have been nice to have been able to create a USB BIOS recovery stick to try that.

I don't know ! but these are the instruction's to restore the BIOS from a USB stick,

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/ish_1997719-1528356-16

The flashing light codes suggest a memory problem, but two different memory sticks have been tried, I think there is probably a motherboard problem, but it would have been nice to have been able to create a USB BIOS recovery stick to try that.
In the meantime, maybe try creating a live Linux USB stick, just to see if it will boot at all...

Venod

Eh up
In the meantime, maybe try creating a live Linux USB stick, just to see if it will boot at all...

This brings us back to your conundrum, if the BIOS isn't loading I don't think it will boot from a USB, but HP suggest you can repair the corrupted BIOS from a USB, if only you could create a stick to do it, which I can't seem to do.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
improvising...

Btz15cSCAAE6D8Q.jpg

:whistle:

Writing this on my Dell XPS 1640M laptop while away dog-sitting.
Decided, as I have a fallback netbook, to try and upgrade this to Windows 11. It has no TPM, no UEFI BIOS, a hopelessly off-the-list CPU, but plenty of RAM and Storage.
After some research (about 5 minutes!), I realised it was as least faintly possible, without any great hassle. A coin-toss. Go for it.
I'm writing this on Windows 11.
Happy to go into detail if anyone is interested.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was watching a YT video about upgrading hopelessly underspeced PCs to W11 a few days ago... they used a bit of script added to the ISO folder to get round the (supposed) needlessly high spec requirements. I didn't watch it all because it was rather boring... they also claimed that W11 doesn't actually need anything near the spec it demands and MS will likely relax things as W10 become obsolete

I was watching a YT video about upgrading hopelessly underspeced PCs to W11 a few days ago... they used a bit of script added to the ISO folder to get round the (supposed) needlessly high spec requirements. I didn't watch it all because it was rather boring... they also claimed that W11 doesn't actually need anything near the spec it demands and MS will likely relax things as W10 become obsolete

It's much easier than that. A well-kmown USB-burning program called Rufus will do it all for you. The only thing you need to know is how to use this.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Spent this morning setting up my new Mac Studio.

Longest part was moving 357Gb of RAW images from my Windows machine. These sat on a 4Tb drive sitting in a 2 bay cradle connected over USB 3. A previous backup to a second 4Tb drive in another USB 3 cradle had taken the best part of 8 hours so I wasn’t expecting anything quick. I knew the USB bypus on the laptop was being stretched by the process but was pleased to see to Mac Studio complete the task via2 USB C ports in under a quarter of the time.
Nice! What spec?

Top Bottom