PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was adequately happy with the install of W10 on my other PC, but the install of W10 on this new(old) one is like I've installed a draconian nanny state. I've had to give myself, as an administrator, special administrative permission to view my own photos folder, but am still blocked from looking inside any subfolders within it, possibly because, as an administrator, i don't have administrative rights to look at my own stuff. AND every time i open uTorrent, i have to open it as an administrator otherwise the M$ nanny state will block me from using a torrent client to download any torrents. All the while I'm logged in as the administrator and it keeps saying "nah you can't do that" FFS :cursing:. I'm seriously considering moving over to the lightside of the force and installing a Linux OS instead. Life needn't be so awkward.
You need an registery script that add's take ownership to your right click, takes ages both solves all issues, had the same while switching to an ssd and having part of my pictures and large files on the ''normal'' hdd which has become the second/storage hdd.
...and to top it all... the audiophile sound card was working fine yesterday, today (after a reboot) Windows says it has no drivers and even pointing it directly at the folder with the drivers in, it won't install them :angry:

EDIT... uninstalled the device and reinstalled the drivers, working again... but for how long?
yeah sounds cards from the past 5/7 years suck mostly realtek based they have lots off issues, if you have an pc you can add in an SoundBlaster card they are usually dirt cheap second hand and really good.

Hopefully, the Mac Pro finds a new home today. I just don't find it or its OS any great fun to play with...
yeah tried running it on pc years ago with succes but once you have it running it just doesn't feel natural, like they make every thing complicated to make it look simple or something. Linux, beOS(alltough mostly death now) etc. are much more logical in my opinion

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You need an registery script that add's take ownership to your right click, takes ages both solves all issues, had the same while switching to an ssd and having part of my pictures and large files on the ''normal'' hdd which has become the second/storage hdd.
Thanks I'll look into that :okay: edit... looked into, sorted!
yeah sounds cards from the past 5/7 years suck mostly realtek based they have lots off issues, if you have an pc you can add in an SoundBlaster card they are usually dirt cheap second hand and really good.
My audiophile card is a good 20 years old. It is currently working but I might have to reinstall it each time bloody windows updates :blush:

Last edited:
Thanks I'll look into that :okay: edit... looked into, sorted!

My audiophile card is a good 20 years old. It is currently working but I might have to reinstall it each time bloody windows updates :blush:

Y'know not had a sound card for 20 years. Current mobo has a Sabre combo DAC and sounds great ... the old Soundblasters were good though.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Y'know not had a sound card for 20 years. Current mobo has a Sabre combo DAC and sounds great ... the old Soundblasters were good though.

I only got it because i wanted phono plugs instead of 3.5mm jacks on the back of my PC, which often needed a little fiddle to get a balanced signal. Got it for a tenner off fleabay which i thought was a decent price, but what i didn't consider was having to subsequently buy a motherboard (£30) with a PCI slot to fit the soundcard into, plus a CPU (£20), some RAM (£18), an SSD (£20), a case fan (£8) and a PSU (£8)... so yeah... a tenner... bargain! :whistle:

I only got it because i wanted phono plugs instead of 3.5mm jacks on the back of my PC, which often needed a little fiddle to get a balanced signal. Got it for a tenner off fleabay which i thought was a decent price, but what i didn't consider was having to subsequently buy a motherboard (£30) with a PCI slot to fit the soundcard into, plus a CPU (£20), some RAM (£18), an SSD (£20), a case fan (£8) and a PSU (£8)... so yeah... a tenner... bargain! :whistle:
is started off with an bargain right? so recognizable

Next small project: find a way to get more RAM into the SFF box. This has 2 slots and will take 2x8GB, but I don't have any of those. A shedload of 4GB sticks, however.
It currently runs an I7-2600K, so can use older Intel chipsets. A few days of perusing eBay and I find a Q67-based Intel business board. Sold as parts because it won't boot with the i3-3220 also supplied. It cannot, doesn't support that generation. So, this will almost certainly be ok, and I can sell on the CPU to offset the total cost of £11.36 delivered! The board has four RAM slots to a max of 32GB. I'll install 16 and be happy. It also has faster SATA channels, so a bonus there too.
Asus P8H61M LX2 will go up for sale with 4GB RAM and an i5-3470. That's a great general purpose PC right there.
It arrived yesterday, and as expected, the cpu runs fine in the Asus board. Will finish installing the Intel board later.

It arrived yesterday, and as expected, the cpu runs fine in the Asus board. Will finish installing the Intel board later.
And the Intel board runs the 2600K really well. So once I've offloaded the CPU, I'll have done this upgrade for a fiver.
I'm the @SkipdiverJohn of PC building!
In fact, as previously mentioned, I'll sell the CPU and 4GB RAM installed in the Asus P8H61M-LX2 and make a bit of profit.

Maybe swapping it for an HP Proliant ML350 Gen 8. 2x Xeon E2680v2. 10c/20t. Each. Oh, and 56GB of RAM!
Well, I have it. There's going to be a *seriously* steep learning curve. 56GB RAM, and I still have 10 free slots! :eek:
There's twin redundant PSUs. An onboard computer to administer the computer. Needs a second Ethernet connection to connect with that...
The initial, bound-to-change plan. My younger son will have the remains of the Corsair box back, IF, and that's a bit if, I can get his running as I want it. In the meantime, I'll move the drives from the Corsair into the SFF box mentioned above to ensure normal service is maintained.
Being a server, it thinks being shut down, as in switched off, is a problem, and then goes full diagnostic and takes 6 minutes to boot! Aaargh!
I will survive...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well, I have it. There's going to be a *seriously* steep learning curve. 56GB RAM, and I still have 10 free slots! :eek:
There's twin redundant PSUs. An onboard computer to administer the computer. Needs a second Ethernet connection to connect with that...
The initial, bound-to-change plan. My younger son will have the remains of the Corsair box back, IF, and that's a bit if, I can get his running as I want it. In the meantime, I'll move the drives from the Corsair into the SFF box mentioned above to ensure normal service is maintained.
Being a server, it thinks being shut down, as in switched off, is a problem, and then goes full diagnostic and takes 6 minutes to boot! Aaargh!
I will survive...

Sounds like a headache rather than a challenge....

I will survive...

So how many DIMM slots has it got? Thought 12 was the max?

Top Bottom