PC game problem, can anyone help please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are there any members who have the time to spare to help me with a PC problem? I don't know how to fix PC problems, I fix mechanical things. Basic PC stuff I can do, but my son likes playing Colin McRae Rally and it has decided to cease functioning. In truth he hasn't been on iot since November last year, but he's tried to load CMR '04 tonight and either Spyware Terminator 2012 or the McAfee antivirus I've installed told him there was a program trying to load a trojan. I uninstalled this and tried CMR '05 and this appears to install but when it get's to needing the disc key some sort of 'protection system' starts running, takes an age to 'check the disc' then tells me I've typed in the wrong disc key when in fact it's correct. Running Windows Task Manager indicates that the processor is at 100% during this check and the protection system is not responding.
Help?

toroddf

The Colin McRae series probably uses Steam and bypassing that piece of horse manure is not easy. The registration key has been registered to another email address, another Steam account and another registry entry. That means no second chance. Your version is regarded as pirate.

Steam is the protection software which means you cannot buy a second hand version of a game anylonger. I did not know about this and sold a second hand version of Football Manager 2012 through Amazon. A sale which has now caused me tonnes of problems. I am getting the game in return now and a bad feedback review. Many expletives removed from this post.

It is insane though that Amazon is still selling second hand games, 50 titles, which you cannot play without the use of illegal means. Not good.

torodf, It is possible to transfer ownership of Steam games by 'gifting', unlike some of the newer digital distribution systems such as Origin. Although a recent ruling means that you MUST be able to sell on the game if you want. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/0...gital-distribution-to-allow-game-transfers-m/

Back to the OP.

As for the CMR 05 problem, entering serial keys is a pain, 1's look like i's or L's, 0's like o's.
As you have the physical disk then you can contact CodeMasters and get a replacement with reasonably little fuss, but I would bet the problem is down to the horrid protection system on the disk 'StarForce' which caused lots of problems for peoples hardware. it can be removed from your PC or updated here: http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

Make sure your machine is clean (Malwarebytes and and full AV scan), polish the disk so there are no traces of any marks and then turn off your AV before retrying the installation. If that fails, contact CodeMasters ... or turn to the dark side.

Top Bottom