Pc Ram...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
My home PC only has 256MB of RAM and I have just ordered 512MB more. Do I put the new RAM in a spare slot next to the existing RAM or do I have to replace the existing RAM with the new one? Any ideas?

Thank you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends upon the machine, but slot it in next to it - Should be fine.

256mb - blimey....I know when SP 1 came out for XP it really buggered up my folks once fast PC with 256mb - chucked in another gig for them and it was sweet at 1.25gb. I run 2gb on my XP machine !

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks, fossy. Will do.
I tend not to perform software updates when I am alerted to them, as in my exprience, the newer all-singing-dancing software slows down the PC even more!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's not a universal yes or no answer but guessing at the age of your machine, it will probably be a yes, add it in the other slot. I upgraded someone's laptop from 240Mb to 752Mb ram last year and it worked a treat.

simoncc

fossyant said:
Depends upon the machine, but slot it in next to it - Should be fine.

256mb - blimey....I know when SP 1 came out for XP it really buggered up my folks once fast PC with 256mb - chucked in another gig for them and it was sweet at 1.25gb. I run 2gb on my XP machine !

I have 256mb on my XP machine and it works fine for the internet and running MS office. I only have a 2MB internet connection too. I'm completely baffled about what all the numbers mean and what benefits I'd get from buying a more up to date computer.

domtyler

Über Member
simoncc said:
I have 256mb on my XP machine and it works fine for the internet and running MS office. I only have a 2MB internet connection too. I'm completely baffled about what all the numbers mean and what benefits I'd get from buying a more up to date computer.

Any less than 257mb and you're asking for trouble in my opinion.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Did I mention before my sexual encounter with this RAM. You need a RAM with giant cojones, Maz

ram.jpg

peanut

I would advise you to get Crucial memory. Not only is it guaranteed for life they will also make sure that you get the correct memory for your PC .You need the correct type of memory ie parity /non parity etc

if your PC will only support PC2700 it won't run faster if you purchase PC3300 but PC3300 will ironically probably be cheaper

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
XP runs fast on 1gb plus....with all updates......

256mb was enough for my folk's Athlon XP 2600 - it ran fast..very fast..., no additional software, but as soon as the 'fixes' came in, it was slow..........

Another 1 gb was fine.

My system is about 3 years old - Athlon 64 3000 with a good video card, and 2 gb - physical limit on performance 2 gb max, 3 gb would have lowered it - board limits....

New machines have 4 gb plus as a minimum, and higher performance ram...lots of geeky stuff to digest, etc.....

Top Bottom