Hairstyle and appearence in a PC World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dolorous Edd

Edit - comment removed as I misinterpreted the OP as referring to "a P(olitically) C(orrect) World" and so my joke may have unintended implications.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
This has NACA written all over it...

However, I've never brought or been put off buying anything in PC World such as by the appearance of it's employees other than their prices...

stephec

Legendary Member
My son worked for PC World part time whilst at university until he had his cardiac arrest, all the time he was in hospital they kept paying his wages, but when it became clear that he wouldn't be going back his boss came to our house for a meeting and was obviously embarrassed to have to ask any awkward questions but it would seem that he was being pressured from higher up.

A lot of his work mates were all young so I suppose the manager who's doing the interviewing might not be so narrow minded when it comes to a person's appearance.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There is a copper called PC World, who gets daily pith taking. One day im sure they'll break and stab someone.
There is a jockey called Phillip Prince.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

This thread sure took the wrong turn from the word go.

Actually it is a serious issue in our politically correct world.

At a recent video call interview for a position, the candidates comes on but did not groom his hair and appeared in t-shirt. He however was qualified. Despite our practice not to comment on appearance, I thought it best to advise himand told him politely so he passes the corporate values interview with HR. He eventually withdrew as he changed his mind over moving from the States. Or that's what he told us.

We get these situations sometimes - hair colour, piercings, grooming and dress sense which are not the usual or expected of most companies in that position. HR has advised not to bring it up for obvious reasons and the person never gets hired. I felt otherwise as some are well qualified, young and have potential.

We also have this among staff who stagnate because of their appearance and no one tells them.

So how do you tell someone that his or her hairstyle, appearance, dress sense might not help?

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
This thread sure took the wrong turn from the word go.

Actually it is a serious issue in our politically correct world.

At a recent video call interview for a position, the candidates comes on but did not groom his hair and appeared in t-shirt. He however was qualified. Despite our practice not to comment on appearance, I thought it best to advise himand told him politely so he passes the corporate values interview with HR. He eventually withdrew as he changed his mind over moving from the States. Or that's what he told us.

We get these situations sometimes - hair colour, piercings, grooming and dress sense which are not the usual or expected of most companies in that position. HR has advised not to bring it up for obvious reasons and the person never gets hired. I felt otherwise as some are well qualified, young and have potential.

We also have this among staff who stagnate because of their appearance and no one tells them.

So how do you tell someone that his or her hairstyle, appearance, dress sense might not help?

You don't.

You just don't employ them. Then when they struggle to find work, hopefully they'll figure it out and do something about it rather than complain to the press and stomp their feet.

Punkawallah

Über Member
And there it is :-)

See someone who is obviously going to struggle because of a lack, and give them a friendly pointer; or leave them to carry on in blythe ignorance, to correct the problem if realisation strikes.
If they are so informed and then choose not to act on the information, it’s their problem. If they are not informed it can become a vicious circle of failure and recrimination - and is that of benefit to them or the rest of us?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I cannot help noticing that a lot of the younger doctors we get now are dressed in a very casual manner. In the old days they wore suits now it is jeans and open neck shirts for the blokes and similar casual dress for the women. They do seem to be competent fortunately.

Top Bottom