Hairstyle and appearence in a PC World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
And politicians. Seeing a politician in a suit but without a tie makes me cringe. How does any person expect me to believe theyre businesslike when they can't even be arrised to look business like?

Hair, tattoos, whatever floats their boat, we should respect backgrounds and cultures, but a suit with no tie on someone claiming to be taking themselves seriously makes me pathologically angry.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
a suit with no tie on someone claiming to be taking themselves seriously makes me pathologically angry.
Totally normal and healthy response, there.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A French family lived two doors from us. The husband turned out to be a corporate computer consultant and he absolutely loved living in London. He told me that in Paris when you went for an interview, they would judge you by your shoes...."In London they judge you by your abilities". Sadly, he went back home because his wife was homesick.

Julia9054

Guru
And politicians. Seeing a politician in a suit but without a tie makes me cringe. How does any person expect me to believe theyre businesslike when they can't even be arrised to look business like?

Hair, tattoos, whatever floats their boat, we should respect backgrounds and cultures, but a suit with no tie on someone claiming to be taking themselves seriously makes me pathologically angry.
I thought everyone - apart from male school teachers and funeral directors - wore suits without ties these days?

Drago

Legendary Member
I know Julia, its an abomination, and means Im perpetually foaming at the mouth with barely restrained rage. You wouldn't wear a football kit without the shorts, or a ball gown without the sequins, so why a suit without a tie?

High standards and attention to detail is what separates us from the animals and the French, and the wearing of a suit without a tie is an erosion of standards that is indicative of the coming downfall and collapse of civilised society. The rot started when bankers and civil servants ceased wearing bowler hats, and the missing tie is the final nail in societies coffin.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I thought everyone - apart from male school teachers and funeral directors - wore suits without ties these days?
Indeed!

1633329078132.png

1633329129807.png

1633329435101.png

1633329742236.png

1633329931520.png

1633330276061.png

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The most difficult thing IME is that there might be a dress code, but it can be interpreted and enforced differently by whoever is in charge of a said office or organisation. There is huge dissparity where I work. If you're not in the manager's good books then you could expect to get asked to dress more corporately if you dare wear anything other than smart trouser suits or dress suits. But if the Manager is feeling a bit warm then apprently it's fine to wear vest tops and sandals if you are either female or above a certain pay grade. Or if you're only coming in on a friday then jeans and converse sneakers, but again only if you're management. But if you're a junior then you're not allowed anything but suit (without jacket). Unless you're one of the analystsv who were not replaced easily, so they were allowed to wear jeans and t-shirt all the time. But when i started my new job as an Admin 11 years ago, I was told to take my tie off and not wear a suit (becasue the manager thought I was dressing above my pay grade).

Like many other things, it's all a farce. If I had my way, it would be smart trousets/skirt, smart shirt/blouse and closed shoes. No matter how old/young/senior you are, and no matter what geneder you identify as. And you can dress "up" from that if you choose, but not "down". One rule for all I say

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just read the link (boring of me, I know), unless I have missed something, it has nothing to do with Corporate Dress/Appearance Code, it has to do with some people (who happen to be PC World Employees) being narrow minded.

On a more general note, I would suggest, we are all influenced, to a degree, by a person's appearance, even by their accent. Some of us may make efforts to control that influence, but, I do not believe anyone who tries to tell me the influence does not exist.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
They do. You can even wear brown shoes in town nowadays.
I am reminded of the brilliant John Waters film 'Serial Mom', in which Kathleen Turner's titular character bumps off various people for minor things that annoy, including not rewinding rental video tapes, nicking her parking space, standing up her daughter.... After her murder trial (not guilty) she kills one of the jurors for wearing white shoes after Labor Day (a fashion 'rule' in the US). Pritti Patel, eat your heart out…

Top Bottom