Hairstyle and appearence in a PC World

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought everyone - apart from male school teachers and funeral directors - wore suits without ties these days?

At one place I was at, that had no written dress code, but an informal understanding of what should be worn, one boss asked me where my tie was. I politely informed her I'd lent it to one of the female staff members, but couldn't recall which, so if she happened to find one of them wearing it rather than the jogging bottoms and a tee-shirt most normally wore, I'd be grateful if she'd ask them to return it to me.

She huffed and left the room, to smirks from those listening before I got the chance to ask if I could borrow the one she wasn't wearing.

dodgy

I think a suit looks smarter without tie than with. If ties were invented tomorrow we'd all laugh our heads off at the piece of rag arranged around your neck and left to dangle on your belly.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Appearance is a strange one, some people swear by shirt and tie at interviews yet in the 4.5* I've had in my adult life I've never been anything more than casually dressed, one of them I attended in the uniform of my then employer (got that job)

*I say .5 as the last interview (I got the job but didn't accept) the first chat was via phone and I was lying in bed in my PJ's, even joked about being professional from the waist up. At the face to face I was however quizzed about my piercings and if they could be removed, I explained they are too new to take out and they seemed to be willing to work with that.

My CV and training are IMO a goldmine of useful things relative to the job and I believe the employer recognised they weren't dealing with a muppet

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Oh yeah, don't start me on that one.

Or even worse, wearing a tie with a short sleeved shirt, the height of naffness.
I will agree with you on that one.

ditto short sleeved shirt under a jacket or blazer

Drago

Legendary Member
And people who wear blazers without a regimental crest just makes me feel ill.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I was once surprised by a visit to my desk from a very earnest young graduate trainee who felt the need to point out that it was Friday and that I could, if I so chose, dispense with a tie. My colleagues tried their best to suppress sniggers as I explained that tweed jacket order was dressed down for me.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I always dress to impress :smile:

It's my own design made from recycled deck chairs. :okay::becool:

Top Bottom