peak district routes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moia

Hi, does anyone have any tips on the best ways of doing monsal trail, tissington trail and high peak trail? We are staying near monyash for 3 days in feb and would ideally like to do one on each day, cycling from where we are staying and doing a circular - I have maps, but wondered if anyone has some good / bad experiences?
ta
m

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Don't do them on a skinny road bike tyre! I tried and got clogged up with clag.

P.H

Über Member
I don't know the Monsal very well, but a couple of general points on the High Peak and Tissington,;
The Tissington trail has a gradient, going south is downhill.
The High Peak East of Middleton Top to Cromford is dirty and steep, there's a good road alternative if you want to go to Cromford/Matlock.
The Tissington route rejoins the road a bit north of Parsley Hay, there are better ways of getting to Buxton.

What I'd do is make a circular route of the best bits of the Tissington and High Peak. Ride down to Parsley Hay, it's a mile and a half from Moneyash. South on the Tissington to Ashbourne, across to Carsington Water on the road, up to Hopton, and join the High Peak which will take you back to Parsley Hay.

That would give you a day to take a short drive and ride around the Ladybower Res;
http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/os_routes/show/130

Enjoy your visit, there are some lovely routes.

plantfit

Guru
Monsal trail is more for walkers as you will have to carry your bike down to the trail from Monsal head, then only a mile ride before getting off to carry bike down to Water cum Jolly, you cannot ride your bike to the next village as "no cyling" signs are posted
Middleton Top to Parsley Hay is a nice ride though with a tea and cake stop either end as well as great scenery

Rog

RedBike

The three trails you've picked are relatively flat and for an off-road trail they are pretty mud-free. (As in you don't need a MTB but you wont want to use your best road bike).

The roads around these area are seriously hilly in places though. So watch those contour lines when picking a circular route back.

johnsie

moia said:
Hi, does anyone have any tips on the best ways of doing monsal trail, tissington trail and high peak trail? We are staying near monyash for 3 days in feb and would ideally like to do one on each day, cycling from where we are staying and doing a circular - I have maps, but wondered if anyone has some good / bad experiences?
ta
m

Have a look in the latest CTC mag - I'm pretty sure I saw a +40 route in there.

johnsie said:
Have a look in the latest CTC mag - I'm pretty sure I saw a +40 route in there.

Agreed - it starts in Ashbourne, goes cross-country to Waterhouses and up the Manifold Valley trail (you missed that one moia !) to Hulme End, cross-country to Parsley Hay and down the Tissington Trail back to Ashbourne.

In the past I've parked at Parsley Hay, gone down the High Peak to the visitor centre, along the main A-road to Ashbourne and back up the Tissington Trail
- 35ish miles if I remember and a full day at this time of year.

02GF74

Über Member
I've done all if not some of those. If memory serves me well - they are cinder tracks - used to be railway tracks so are flat but with some undulation - there is an incline on at least one of them - there was some steam driven engine used to haul the trains up.

generally piece of cake unless you are really unfit. I would image in summer it is jam packed with sunday bikers who will no doubt get in your spokes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Manifold Valley was tarmaced last time I did it - 20 odd years ago.... with the club. Had fun at the ford on Matlock side as a few of the lads thought they could cross on road bikes....didn't...straight in.....oh did we and the picnic'ers laugh......

Top Bottom