Peculiar (but common) pavement route.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't work this one out for the life of me.

Here, the pedestrian lights are phased exactly the same as the traffic lights for straight ahead traffic.

The dual carriageway being crossed is busy - there is usually no chance of crossing the pedestrian crossing without the lights changing, so no chance of a pavement RLJ to nip cheekily across

There is no safe route to rejoin the road, it meand pulling into moving traffic so there is zero safety aspect

So can anyone tell me WHY, nearly every single day, does someone take the red route through the junction when there is absoultely NO advantage, in fact there are multiple disadvantages, over the conventional green route?

juydxt.jpg

I just don't get it at all?

Sambu

Because some people are just thick?

p.s. i have never been more confused by roads as i have been in Sheff!

Near where I live there is a really silly but perfectly legal pavement shortcut. The street on the left is one-way, as is the oncoming road. The traffic lights are to stop oncoming cars turning right colliding because of the one way systems.

But the wonderful cycle lane lets you hop onto the pavement for less than 5 metres and jump the red light legally. Things like this make me really hate cyle lanes for their stupidity.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They take that route because it's the natural ped route direct over the junction whereas most vehicles are excluded from the route you mention - one rarely sees vehicles using it. On the other hand the subway is not particularly direct even with dutch ramps etc. It's worth remembering that there are very, very few direct routes over the inner ring road (for cyclists) and that similar mimicking behaviour by cyclists elsewhere on a 2 mile section of it.

thomas

the tank engine
ManiaMuse said:
Near where I live there is a really silly but perfectly legal pavement shortcut. The street on the left is one-way, as is the oncoming road. The traffic lights are to stop oncoming cars turning right colliding because of the one way systems.

But the wonderful cycle lane lets you hop onto the pavement for less than 5 metres and jump the red light legally. Things like this make me really hate cyle lanes for their stupidity.

Sounds sensible to me. Encourage cycling by cutting down time spent waiting unnecessarily.

Top Bottom