Pedal and Shoes - Gravel/Adventure bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JSRossi

Regular
Just investing in a gravel/adventure bike (probably the Boardman ADV 8.9) and been doing a lot of research on pedals and shoes.... far too many to choose from!

I am likely to be cycling on 50% road and 50% bridle paths and off road trail and looking for a suitable pedal and shoe option (should also mention that i will be new to clipless).

Currently looking at Shimano PD-EH500 as an option and wondered if anyone has experience of them, will they ease me into clipless pedals and be suitable for road and light offroad?

Thanks again.... 👍

The Shimanos you mention are excellent - I have them on a couple of bikes for commuting (which is part gravel, part terrible cyclepath, part road) and pair them with Giro Rumble shoes in summer and a pair of MTB shoes from Decathlon in winter. Prior to those I broke 2 pairs of Boardman combi (spd/flat) pedals which looked great but seemed to have bearings made of cheese ^_^

The Rumbles are great, as they look like smart trainers and not cycle shoes - I sometimes get to about mid-morning before I remember to change :rolleyes:

OP
OP
J

JSRossi

Regular
The Shimanos you mention are excellent - I have them on a couple of bikes for commuting (which is part gravel, part terrible cyclepath, part road) and pair them with Giro Rumble shoes in summer and a pair of MTB shoes from Decathlon in winter. Prior to those I broke 2 pairs of Boardman combi (spd/flat) pedals which looked great but seemed to have bearings made of cheese ^_^

The Rumbles are great, as they look like smart trainers and not cycle shoes - I sometimes get to about mid-morning before I remember to change :rolleyes:
Thanks for that, much appreciated. Can I ask which bike you ride?

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Can I ask which bike you ride?
On nice days or ones where I've time to take the indirect route, usually this old thing (pictured here before I swapped out the toestrap pedals)
On other (i.e. most!) days it's a Ribble CGR Al with 650b wheels and 55mm Schwalbe tyres to cope with the direct-but-terrible route ^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have them on all my bikes. The flat side is good for when the going gets very soft or slippery. My shoes are Shimano M800

BigMeatball

I have shimano pdm540 pedals and northwave origin plus shoes. Both are excellent, although I can't use my bike with casual shoes as the pedals are extremely uncomfortable and unsafe with casual shoes.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
i prefer dual sided clips myself , these do have a wide platform
M530 pedals
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m530-mtb-spd-trail-pedals
I use these too, ridden 100 miles with them. I find they stopped getting hot-spots on longer rides with SPDs. I can ride the bike in trainers at a pinch too.

John_S

Über Member
Hi JSRossi,

I don't have those exact pedals but I have dual sided Shimano PD-T8000 spd pedals:-

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deorext-t8000/PD-T8000.html

I went for these because I wanted dual sided pedals plus because I cycle and commute all year around I wanted the reflectors built in. But equally looking at the Shimano PD-EH500 pedals that you're looking at although I've not used them they look very good as well and I'm sure that if they perform like mine then they'd be very good.

Just like somebody else above I also use the Giro Rumble shoes.

Hope that you manage to get something that works for you.

John

OP
OP
J

JSRossi

Regular
Just to update, i bought the Shimano PD-EH500 pedals and Giro Cylinder MTB shoes ... only two rides in but feel great so far and havent fallen of .... Yet! Thanks for the advice...👍

Top Bottom