Pedal replacement for Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CEBEP

I find Brompton pedals to be OK but I always wish for something better and probably grippier too. Does anyone have experience with upgrading pedals on Brompton? There are some models with quick release, but then where to store removed pedal. Any good upgrades with foldable design?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think there are quite a few options on the market. I have some good ones that came on my folder, think they replaced the OE, but couldn't tell you what they are.

Can't see the point of removable as you still have to store them somewhere as you say.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My friend has the Wellgo removable ones. He just takes the LH pedal to his seat on the train. You can get a little receptacle for the LH pedal axle which replaces the stem bolt but it only sits there by gravity and may no longer fit in a luggage rack.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I think there are quite a few options on the market. I have some good ones that came on my folder, think they replaced the OE, but couldn't tell you what they are.
View attachment 620278

Can't see the point of removable as you still have to store them somewhere as you say.

These look to be MKS pedals. I checked reviews and some said they were slippery when wet. Not sure how much better these would be compared to stock pedals

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
I find Brompton pedals to be OK but I always wish for something better and probably grippier too. Does anyone have experience with upgrading pedals on Brompton? There are some models with quick release, but then where to store removed pedal. Any good upgrades with foldable design?

How about this one, we are currently evaluating this design.

What can be improved? My first impression was ... wow so heavy ! :laugh:

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

How about this one, we are currently evaluating this design.

What can be improved? My first impression was ... wow so heavy ! :laugh:

Unfortunately I don't consider ordering form you because you use only PayPal to process credit card payments and PayPal is banned in Turkey and can not process Turkish credit cards.

Beside that its hard to say based on 15 sec video. Design looks fine though I think Brompton OEM still folds flasher. It will also depend on manufacturer of the pedals, their quality etc. I'd rather buy a model which is already produced by a known brand with available reviews.

berlinonaut

Veteran
You probably won't find a better folding pedal for the Brompton (counting in all relevant factors) than the factory one. But a lot that are way worse in many aspects. You will find better removable pedals but the better ones are expensive and the main issue is that - at least to me - they are way less practical in daily usage. Check the various products from MKS and you are there - they do probably provide the best quality in removable pedals.
Personally, I've no relevant issues with the Brompton pedals for about 15 years now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

You probably won't find a better folding pedal for the Brompton (counting in all relevant factors) than the factory one. But a lot that are way worse in many aspects. You will find better removable pedals but the better ones are expensive and the main issue is that - at least to me - they are way less practical in daily usage. Check the various products from MKS and you are there - they do probably provide the best quality in removable pedals.
Personally, I've no relevant issues with the Brompton pedals for about 15 years now.

That's the root I took. Folding alternatives didn't look any better than stock ones let alone the quality.

I am considering MKS ones as they seem to be the best removable option. Now when I say removable I mean Ezy Superior and not Ezy. I hate those plastic rings that you're supposed to use every time, justified or not.

Problem is MKS pedals are already rarely available to order delivered to Turkey but Ezy Superior and black ones? I was lucky to find a pair of MKS Sylvan Touring Next Ezy Superior black one website which claims can ship in 1-3 days. Keeping my fingers crossed they will.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Assuming I'll end up receiving MKS pedals I've ordered, another thing I'm looking for is how to easily mount one on the bike if I need to remove it. Now to my knowledge majority of removable Chinese pedals use MKS Ezy system. But as far as I know Ezy Superior is not compatible. I wander if they will work to hold Ezy Superior removed pedal.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I use Shimano SPDS with a flat side and an SPD side. The extra bit they stick out isn't a problem for me and having my feet clipped to the pedals is more important to me since I can pull up as well as push down and easily rotate thecranks to a convenient spot when stopping.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I use Shimano SPDS with a flat side and an SPD side. The extra bit they stick out isn't a problem for me and having my feet clipped to the pedals is more important to me since I can pull up as well as push down and easily rotate thecranks to a convenient spot when stopping.
There's always a way. ;)
VIchL3X.jpg

(taken from this thread: http://www.bromptonauten.de/phorum3/read.php?1,44916)

I went with MKS removable pedals and haven't regretted it. Very good quality items and will last my life time, even if that may be quite short after buying another frame for renovation:laugh:

My bike often goes in the garage in our camper and also in the boot of my car so fully removable rather than folding was preferred.

Top Bottom