Pedal/shoe help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommohawk

I am looking to try clipless pedals for the first time on a soon to be purchase of a road/gravel bike. I intend to use mtb shoes however wonder can these be used in conjunction with for instance Shimano 105 pedals?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure the pedals you refer to are SPD SL pedals whereas most MTB shoes use SPD cleats, ie 2 hole rather than 3 hole.

Appropriate pedals will be needed.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
105 are a road pedal, road pedals and shoes nearly always tend to have a 3 bolts and take a large triangular cleat be it Shimano's SPD SL, Look's Keo, or whatever. MTB shoes and pedals tend to have two bolts and take a much smaller cleat, so you need to choose a system.

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
Shimano M 520 pedals, should be under £30 with cleats. Small, neat, hard wearing, double sided so easy to clip in an out, no pedal flipping needed unlike single sided :okay:

Justified_Sinner

Thanks everyone. Could anyone recommend mtb pedals? Budget is £100 max.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano/PD-M540.html
I've ridden with these Shimano pedals for a long time now - around £70 delivered. The cleats are either the SM-SH51 (basic) or the SM-SH56 which are the "multi release" cleats. I have one pair of shoes with each cleat, quite by accident, and find the SH56 cleats marginally easier use but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them.
If this is your first time with cleats, make sure that they are tightly fitted to the shoes and use the adjusters on the pedal to make them easy to release (turn the dial towards the minus side on both sides of each pedal).

Agree,

I have a pair of spd/flat on my Gravel which does enable you to wear normal trainers if you just want to nip out somewhere but otherwise M520's are the way to go.

Ajax Bay

Guru
And to add to @vickster 's recommendation, those pedals can be used with 'normal' shoes for a trip to the shops or pub. If you'd prefer single sided (and a better surface for normal shoes) then the A520 is a good option. I recommend going into your nearest Hal-fords as they will have a display of spd pedals (including makes other than Shimano) so you can buy with understanding. Edit (after @jpj84): Check whether pedals include the spd cleats before purchase.

Last edited:

jpj84

Veteran
You do get cleats with a pedal purchase. I'd get the m520, as recommended by just about everyone 😊

si_c

Guru
I use the PD-M520s as mentioned repeatedly above a lot and they're brilliant. I also have a pair of the PD-A530 pedals on the Trek as I regularly use it for utility cycling and it's easier to be able to just hop on and ride regardless of footwear but also have clipless when needed.

T4tomo

Guru
And to add to @vickster 's recommendation, those pedals can be used with 'normal' shoes for a trip to the shops or pub. If you'd prefer single sided (and a better surface for normal shoes) then the A520 is a good option. I recommend going into your nearest Hal-fords as they will have a display of spd pedals (including makes other than Shimano) so you can buy with understanding. Edit (after @jpj84): Check whether pedals include the spd cleats before purchase.
M520 are a great option double sided and cheap.
A520 are single sided, but give a bit more platform support, but hte reverse side isnt good for a poub run in trainers, too slippy
For the pub run you want A530's, which have a proper flat pedal surface on the reverse of the clip. My OH uses them, she normal sets off on flats side, and the flips them to clip in once up and running (so to speak).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'll break the mould and suggest that M540 is worth the extra. I find the bearings go for years without overhaul, whereas M520 bearings get sloppy within a year.

Top Bottom